24. New York City

We arrive in New York City. As we leave the airport, paparazzi are flooding the entrance of the doors. My heart beats fast with adrenaline as we approach closer to them, the lights of their cameras blazing through the sliding doors as they snap pictures of us.
The bodyguards lead us through the doors and we disappear into the chaotic flashing lights that surround us.
A large group of fans take notice of us and they run over. Some rush over to the guys while a few gather around me.
I don't know how to react to the unusualness of strangers knowing my name and with the paparazzi obsessively taking photos of me as though I am sort of rare treasure. It's exuberant and in a way, beautifully chaotic.

The crowd swarms around us as we make our way over to the Range Rover. Some paparazzi rush over to me as I hand my luggage to the assistant.
"Blake, when are you going to make your first album?"
"Are you dating someone from the band?"
Kirk puts his hand on my lower back and leads me in to the car before making his way over to the other side. The paparazzi gather around him, taking photos as he gets in with the rest of the band.
"Don't ever speak to them, okay?" Kirk says immediately, shutting the door beside him.
"Dude relax, let her enjoy it", Lars answers.
Kirk sighs and turns away his head to look out the window as he restlessly fidgets with his fingers in his lap.

We make it to the hotel and Kirk requests for a double for the both of us. He unlocks the door and we walk in.
"Are you okay? You've been acting weird since we left the airport" I say, as I sit down on the couch.
"I jus-".
We are suddenly interrupted by a knocking on the door.
"Stay here, there's someone I want you to meet" Kirk says, as he walks over to open the door and I look at him suspiciously.
"What's going on?"
"You trust me don't you?" He asks, looking back at me with his hand gripping the door knob.
"Uh...yeah?" I answer reluctantly.
He opens the door and peaks his head round the corner.
"Come on in man".
"Kirk, can you please tell me what's go-". I stop suddenly as the door opens further.
In walks an intimidating man, at least over 6 foot and dressed in all black. He almost looks like a Mafia boss but much more muscular and with tattoos on the side of his head.
"This is Lorenzo, he's your bodyguard", Kirk answers.
I stare at Lorenzo as he stands with his hands clasped together in front of him. I'm almost too scared to look him in the eye. He no doubt looks like he could wrestle a lion.
"You got me a bodyguard?" I ask as I look back over to Kirk, my eyes wide with surprise.
"Yes, I told you that you needed one".
"But I'm not famous Kirk, I'm just getting a little recognised".
"Lorenzo, do you mind if you just leave us alone for a minute?" Kirk requests, turning to face him.
Lorenzo gives a slight nod and leaves, shutting the door behind him and Kirk walks up to me with a sigh.
"You don't understand. There are freaks out there who will-", he stops himself once his voice raises with frustration. He takes my hands and looks into my eyes.
"Listen to me Blake, you don't know where this is leading for you. You're so gifted with music and everyone loves seeing you up on stage. I want to make sure you're safe".
"But I already feel safe with you" I reply, staring up at him with puppy eyes as he gently brings up his hand to stroke the side of my face. He lets out a sigh again.
"Baby, I would go to jail if I caught the next guy getting too close to you" he says, making me blush instantly as he calls me baby.
"Lorenzo is allowed to get aggressive for your protection", he adds.
I stare at him for a moment and I smile gently with my face in his hands. I can't believe he felt the need to do this.
"Lorenzo, you can come back in man", he shouts over at the door and he enters, shutting the door behind him.
"I'll protect you everywhere you go Miss Woods", Lorenzo says with a deep voice full of bass and my eyebrows raise.
Nobody has ever spoken to me in such a formal manner, I almost feel guilty.

After endless hours of rehearsal at Madison Square Garden, we make our way back to the hotel to get ready to go to the club. Cassandra dresses me up in a short black latex dress with a leather jacket and thigh high boots, while my makeup look gives a slight Joan Jett appearance.
We arrive at the club and as we approach the doors, all I can hear is the thudding of the music inside. James states our names to the bouncer and he checks through the list on his clipboard before letting us past. Lorenzo and the band's bodyguards stay close to us as we walk past the crowd of people before taking a seat in the VIP lounge.
"What do you want a drink?" Kirk shouts next to me, trying to make himself heard over the defeaning music.
"I'll have whatever you're having!" I reply and he gets up with guys to get the drinks.
Moments later, they arrive back at the table.
"Hope you like whiskey", Kirk says as he sets the glasses on the table before sitting down next to me.
I take a sip as Kirk watches me. My face contorts to the strong burning shit flavour on my tongue and he laughs.

After talking for a few long minutes, I suddenly catch Cassandra glancing at Lars over the brim of her glass as she takes a drink.
"I need to piss" Lars says, setting his drink down and getting up from the table.
Cassandra lets out a subtle sigh and looks around the club, probably trying to look for a hot guy that she can distract herself with. I look back over at Lars as he disappears through the doors of the lounge and I quickly get up from the table.
"Lars!" I call out, as I run down the hallway toward him.
"Oh, Blake what's up?"
I look at him for a moment, trying to figure out the right way to bring up the subject of him and Cassandra. Maybe I shouldn't. I would be unravelling a lot of history between two people and that would be inappropriate.
"Actually, never mind. It doesn't matter", I say with an awkward laugh before turning round.
"I hate when people fucking do that, just tell me", he says aggravated and I turn back round to face him.
"What's the deal with you and Cassandra?" I answer abruptly and he stares at me for a moment with shock.
"She told me how you slept with groupies every night and-".
"That's none of your business", he answers.
"Lars, you made a big mistake".
"Why do you care? You know what, it doesn't matter" he says, before turning his back to walk away.
"I care because she's my best friend and she's still hurting because of you. She loves you and yo-".
He turns back round to look at me.
"She still loves me?"
He stares back at me with something glistening in his eyes that I have never seen before. I let out another sigh.
"Just talk to her...please" I reply, before turning away from him to walk back to the lounge.

I walk through the doors and in to the VIP lounge and Cassandra rushes up to me drunkingly with her drink in her hand.
"I want to danceee, come on!" she slurs, pulling on to my arm.
"What?! No, I can't dance!"
"Aw come on, don't be a big baby!" She says, as she drunkingly hands her glass to a waiter that walks past before dragging me down the stairs.
"For fuck sake, Cassandra" I say to myself, as I follow behind her and on to the dancefloor.
You Spin Me Round by Dead or Alive begins to play as we squeeze ourselves through the crowd.
"I hate this song!"
"It doesn't matter, just danceee!"
I stand awkwardly in the middle of the dancefloor as Cassandra bops her head to the beat and swivels her hips. My eyes glance past her as two guys whisper something to each other before making their way over to us.
"Uh, Cassandra...", I say awkwardly as one of the guys makes his way up behind her. He puts his hands on her hips and she grinds against him.
The other guy walks up to me and my heart begins to beat fast with anxiety.
"Hey, Blake Woods. Wanna dance?"
"I...uh-", I stutter as I quickly glance toward the stairs that lead up to the VIP lounge.
He begins to move closer to me and I slowly back away. Kirk was right, I do need a bodyguard. Shit, where's Lorenzo when you need him?