Chapter 18

Jason P.O.V

As they prepared for the army of monsters that were expected to attack our camps, a Hermes child had rushed to where the demigods were preparing for battle and informed them that Chiron needed a word with the main ones leading the assault.

Jason, Annabeth, Piper, Nico, Clarisse, Leo, Hazel and Thalia immediately ran to the Big House, expecting the worst but only to see Chiron with a hint of a smile.

"Chiron? What is going on?" Annabeth questioned, confusion evident on her features.

"I have talked with the twins. They have let slip a little part of their plan. With Tartarus alive, non of the monsters will fully disintegrate and bigger and more dangerous monsters will come our way. They seem to be getting bored again. Would you all like to talk with them? See if you can change them?" Chiron explained.

"Who's gonna tell-" Jason was about to ask but Chiron interrupted, answering before Jason could finish his query.

"I will tell the others of this. You talk to them," and with that, Chiron cantered off, leaving the demigods to deal with the twins of water.

As they stepped into the attic where the twins were kept, you could see a hint of a smile grace their lips before turning back to their usual sarcastic selves.

"What're you smiling at?" Jason queried. His voice was slightly harsh and yet held an undertone of comfort to show he did not mean to anger them.

"Smiling. We have not smiled for ages. Other than if you count hanging out with friends," Percy hissed. The group winced, their mistake long ago still haunting them.

"We are so sorry. We- I shouldn't have-" Annabeth began but Sara raised her hand to stop her.

"Save it. It's too late anyway. You've turned us into this. Now suffer for it," Sara growled. She stared into the eyes of every demigod in the room. "Now can you look me in the eye? And not look away? Do you see what you have turned us into? What you've turned me into?"

As she stared, every demigod in the room averted their eyes to ensure they didn't look into her eyes. Her hauntingly cold and dark eyes.

"You let slip some information about your strike on the camp. Why?" Clarisse asked. She needed to pull them away from this topic. And she didn't like the way the twins had given the information so easily.

"Easy to answer. Harder to show. Besides, you'd be too busy fighting monsters than to watch us demonstrate our... little... plan," the twins smirked devilishly, glaring straight into the eyes of the daughter of the war god herself.

Annabeth had become increasingly desperate. She needed them to come back. She needed them to come home. "Please. If there is any humanity left in you, you should know that killing them is wrong!" she pleaded to the stone faced twins.

"Where was your humanity when you sentenced me to the Pit? Where was your humanity when I pleaded I was innocent just like you are now? Begging us to show some humanity when you showed none," Percy hissed.

"And you dared to drag my innocent sister into this. She had nothing to do with it and yet you changed her. You changed us. This is your doing," Percy continued.

"You changed us. You turned against us. Our father disowned us, the gods punished us. And the only one who was there to help us was Kronos and Tartarus. You-" Sara began to speak before suddenly crying out, Percy doing the same.

The demigods rushed forwards but the twins had held up their hands. Their wings were showing once more. Every crack in the bone was heard in the attic as their wings morphed into existence.

Once the process was complete, the twins had turned back to the demigods. A little flick of hesitance crossed their cold eyes before they drew their weapons. 

A sudden bang distracted them, and then there was smoke. 

It had begun. The invasion of Tartarus and his army. And now all he needed were the twins by the side of Kronos.