Chapter 8

Annabeth P.O.V

From their body frame, it was hard to tell whether they were male or female. But their voices confirmed one was male and the other was female. They were casually using their knives to pick out gunk in their nails. They wore black cloaks, concealing their body. They wore pitch black metal masks, with thin slits for eyes. No one could see their face or their eyes. But the champions could see them.

They stopped with the knives and walked towards them. That was either a very brave or a very idiotic thing to do.

"Who are you, creep?" Clarisse asked.

"In your words, Clarisse La Rue, we are the problem you speak of. Together, we are Unison, Champions of Tartarus." the hooded figures answered together. They were definitely Tartarus' Champions. And the name definitely suited them.

"How do you know my name?!" Clarisse demanded, shoving her spear towards his neck, blade tip barely touching the hooded figure.

"Well, we are to fight every one of you, I need to know who you are and what you are capable of." they answered. "I know just about all of you demigods. Annabeth Chase. Piper McLean. Jason and Thalia Grace. Nico Di Angelo. Connor and Travis Stoll. Hazel Levesque. Frank Zhang. Leo Valdez." the hooded figured said a couple of their names.

They were starting to freak out a little.

"Why are you here?" Thalia demanded.

"So... demanding," they paused. "We are here to offer a proposal." The boys and the girls shrunk back. "Not that kind of proposal, none of you catch our eye," they assured. The male sounding hooded figure however turned to me slightly.

Annabeth was now starting to freak out.

"Here is our proposal, surrender yourselves to Tartarus and Kronos, or join our side. Don't, and you sign your death wish." they spoke.

"No way in Tartarus we are joining you! You guys are evil!" Jason spat.

"Are you sure about that, Grace? Are you sure we are the evil ones?" the two hooded figures spoke, slight anger could be heard in their voices.

What? Of course they are! They are Tartarus' Champions! They are evil. Aren't they? Jason thought.

"None of us will join you. We won't surrender." Zeus spoke in monotone.

"Your funeral," they spoke. They were about to leave when Annabeth remembered that he was from Tartarus and probably knew how Percy was doing.

"Wait!" Annabeth called and everyone eyed me as the Champions turned to face me. "I need to ask. You are from Tartarus. Do you know how Percy Jackson and his sister are doing?" Everyone realised what she was saying and eagerly turned to the Champions, waiting for their answer.

The Champions looked at each other. Annabeth swore she could see a hint of a smirk under their mask.

"Percy Jackson? Perseus Jackson and his sister Sara Jackson?" they said, thinking whether to tell. "Let's see... Right of course, the betrayed heroes of Olympus." Everyone in the room flinched at the sentence, and guilt overloaded my senses again.

"Yes, Annabeth Chase, I have seen him and his sister, wondering aimlessly around Tartarus, nasty pieces of work they are. So... angry, bitter. Percy heartbroken." they said the last word loudly. "Me and my friend here had a chat with them once. Perseus Jackson talked on and on and on about burning this place to the ground. Down the ash. To find the girl who broke his heart and crush her underfoot." the male hooded figure told them.

"As for dear, sweet, innocent, Sara Jackson. Well, she wanted to kill the gods. For... ah, accusing her of lies. She said she wants vengeance on Annabeth Chase. Apparently, you didn't try to stop your mother or Lord Zeus, from sending Sara to the pit," the female hooded figure hissed.

Annabeth couldn't believe what they were saying. Is this what they have been thinking for 5 years?

The Champions continued, voices joined, "They can't wait to see you, you know. They are so eager. They talked about how their friends so easily turned on them and shunned them without question," Percy and Sara's friends looked to their feet, ashamed. "How their cousins disowned them." Thalia, Nico, Jason and Hazel teared up. "Percy talked about how his girlfriend cheated on him and betrayed him." Annabeth clutched her chest, the pain beginning to become over- whelming.

"One thing they told us though," their voices combined, "We will always hate our father. He stood up for us not because he loved us, but because he was afraid of losing his pride and ego. We are no longer children of Poseidon. We disown him as our father." the sentence hung in the air.

Poseidon flinched so hard, it was like he had a mini seizure in the chair. He had gone rigid, tears flowing down his face like a river.

"You should see the insane look in their eyes. They've gone crazy. Partly because of you all, and partly because of all the torture they have been put through by Kronos and Tartarus. They have joined our ranks."

Percy and Sara? Tortured? And joined the ranks of THE Kronos?

"Shut up," Annabeth muttered at him.

"They will NEVER be the same,"

"SHUT UP!" Annabeth yelled. She took her knife and flung it at threw it at the hooded male. The male didn't see the knife coming at him but the female flung herself in front of him and caught the blade, part of it sinking into her chest from the momentum. She fell.

The hooded male rushed to her aid, pulling the knife out of her chest, controlled her blood and healed her and cleaned it on her robes before flinging it back at Annabeth, missing her face by a few inches.

"That was a warning shot," the male Champion growled. The female stood up, unharmed as though nothing happened.

And they burst into vapor.

Percy P.O.V

Percy was wearing the black cloak, the metal mask with slits for eyes. He talked to his old family about surrender. He had to constantly stop himself from reaching for his swords, to prevent himself from inflicting all the pain he had carried around on the campers he saw. Sara did the same.

What he told them about 'Percy Jackson' was partly true. Most was a lie. He wanted them to feel guilty about what they did to him.

When Annabeth threw the knife at him out of rage, he didn't realise and Sara took the fall, catching the blade but the momentum caused the blade to bury itself 2 inches into Sara's chest. He quickly rushed to her side, clean and seal the wound. Sara stood up as though nothing happened.

He then cleaned the knife and flung it back at Annabeth, purposely missing her face by inches.

"That was a warning shot," he growled and he and Sara burst into water vapor.

They appeared in front of Tartarus and Kronos. "How did the proposal go?" Tartarus asked.

"They wouldn't surrender My Lord," Percy and Sara reported together.

"Don't call me lord," Tartarus hid a smirk.

"And the result was as expected," Kronos sighed. "I just wanted to give my kids a chance to come see me again," the time Lord looked away sadly. 

"It will be okay grandfather. We will explain everything to them once we win the war," Percy assured. Kronos smiled just a little.

"Now come grandchildren, we have more training to do."

Sara and Percy groaned inwardly. They were sick of training, but followed Kronos for training anyway.