thirteen: the end of the night

"Pete, I've never done it before. I— what if I do it wrong?"

"Unless you think you're supposed to smoke it between your toes, I doubt you'll do it wrong."

The two of them found themselves in the middle of the city, walking along a woodsy path that beckoned dark unknowns. It was Pete's idea to leave the party with her and chill. Dahlia wasn't so keen on the idea at first, but Pete convinced her otherwise. "Who's going to rush us when a 6 foot statue's protecting you?"

Protecting me... Dahlia liked the sound of that.

"But what about Paul?" She had protested earlier. "What if he realizes I'm gone?"

"I... doubt he'll be a problem." The last thing Pete saw before leaving the rental house, hand in hand with Dahlia, was her boyfriend's assistant downing drinks and slow dancing with a girl to fast paced music.

She breathed in deeply and held it for a moment to minimize her anxiety, staring up at the early morning sky and taking notice of how many stars were visible to her as she walked alongside Pete.

Pete raised the unusually thick blunt to his lips, lighting it ablaze after a few attempts of getting his lighter to work.

Dahlia found it amusing hearing Pete curse under his breath as he struggled to light it.

After bringing the lighter up to it, Pete took one long pull, took the blunt out from between his lips to take in a short breath of air, holding everything in his lungs.

Pete turned to face Dahlia, looking her straight in the eye as he blew all the smoke out through his nose. "Alright there, show-off." Dahlia teased. "How hard can that dragon trick really be?"

Pete smirked, chuckling as a few more puffs of smoke escaped his mouth. "Oh, I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself. Since this is your first time, doing the nose trick is going to hurt you." Pete played with the joint in his hand for a while before handing it to Dahlia. She observed his long, tatted fingers and the intricacies of the artwork stamped on his skin.

Hesitantly, Dahlia took it and gripped it tightly between her slender fingers. A nervous sound escaped her lips as she attempted to express 'excitement', but it obviously didn't come off that way to Pete who just continued to smirk at her.

Bringing it up to her lips, Pete watched intently.

Dahlia coughed intensely. "Why does it taste like hot dog water—?" She managed to say in between her coughs.

Pete did his best to hold back his laughter, pulling her in closer.

"It's not exactly for tasting." He struggled, stammering as he let a little giggle slip out. "You gotta just suck it, then breathe a little, hold, and then you're good to go."

"I—I don't know how you deal with this. You enjoy this?"

"The high's worth it." He put an arm around her as he walked beside her, walking aimlessly through the city while stargazing together.

*

She soon became a giggling mess, skipping over rocks on the sidewalk as if she were playing hopscotch with herself.

Pete, on the other hand, was much more cool and collected on his high. He had his hands stuffed in the pocket of his kangaroo pullover hoodie, watching her frolic about like it was nobody's business.

He watched as she let herself sway with the breeze, unaffected by the climate.

Dahlia felt so calm, like her body was butter. Or better yet, she compared her high to—