twenty two: the announcement

With two knocks and a little bit of waiting, Dahlia was greeted at the door.

"Dahlia, my dear." Jack swooned, his voice low and sultry. He was dressed in a black silk robe, his chest exposed through the v-shaped neckline of the low-tied robe. A large 'V' was embroidered on the left breast of his robe in gold thread. Jack knew Dahlia had taken notice of his physique, moving his pecs as her eyes scanned him, making her snap out of her gaze. "This is a very pleasant surprise. I didn't know you wanted to come over tonight..."

"I don't intend to stay long. I know it's late, and I've got to prepare for tomorrow's show." Dahlia sighed, rubbing her arms together in an attempt to stay warm.

"Come inside," He stepped aside to allow Dahlia to come forward. "You know this house is just as much your home as it is mine."

Reluctant at first, Dahlia set aside her feelings towards Jack in that moment to go in for a moment to warm herself of the cold that the autumn night beckoned.

She kicked off her shoes, keeping her socks on as she stepped onto the plush carpet of the foyer and walked down into the living room.

On the mahogany coffeetable sat a large glass of red wine, nearly fulled to the rim. Jack noticed the look on Dahlia's face when she first saw it and explained himself, "I had to finish a bottle, there was just a little left at the bottom. It would have been taking up space just to put a mostly empty bottle back in the fridge."

Jack stepped up close behind her, so close that she could feel his exhale on the top of her head. He put his large hands on her shoulders, gently massaging her before his hands glided up and down the lengths of her arms. 

"Darling, you're so cold." He began to take her coat off, folding it in half before extending an arm out to direct her where to go. "Here, come by the fire."

Dahlia obliged, leading the way around the couches and plopped on the one closest to the fireplace. She watched the fire as she heard the sound of glass gently ring on a countertop. Jack was fixing another drink. "Is red alright?" Dahlia nodded, her eyes never once leaving the dancing flames that popped and crackled against one another.

Jack walked around to her, glass in hand, standing directly before her with his feet grazing her own. "Here." She took it gratefully in her hands, carefully grasping the neck of the glass as she brought the rim up to her lips. The taste was pleasantly sweet, and the wine burned once it reached her stomach, warming her up from the inside out. The wine was chilled, enhancing the rich flavour that carried Dahlia a little too much to bliss.

Finishing the glass in a series of small sips in one go, she gently placed the glass down on the coffeetable before her and thanked Jack one last time before settling her hands into her lap.

She sighed, brushing down her hair with her open palms before throwing it back over her shoulders. "I love the hair, dear. I couldn't quite tell you this afternoon, but blonde looks magnificent on you. It's been a while since I've last seen you with--"

"I think we should re-evaluate this relationship."

Jack, stunned by the suddenness of Dahlia's quip, stares down at her for a long silent moment before scoffing. "Oh, Dahlia." He rubbed an eye with his thumb, groaning with a witty smile plastered on his rosy cheeks. "I can say, with absolute confidence, that I agree. I wholeheartedly agree with you, my darling."

Dahlia's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "You-- I don't think you understand where I'm--"

"Oh no, I understand completely, love." Jack interrupted her, sitting down close next to her. She could feel him sink into the couch, as his body weight made her body practically fall into his. Instinctively, Jack wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "You feel... like I've been getting a little out of hand with my emotions, especially concerning that... friend of yours. I know, it's humiliating seeing your man act that way, but you must understand why I do it, don't you?"