twenty five: the night it happened

"Pete!"

Luckily for her, his window had been rolled down half way. She saw that he had been smoking something and had been tapping the ash out of the window. From what Dahlia could see, he looked anxious and jittery.

When she had called out to him, his head snapped in her direction immediately and the look on his face went from dread to relief.

He leapt from the car and so did she, meeting in the middle of the road. Dahlia fell into his arms, weeping, and Pete embraced her tightly.

"Oh Dahlia..." he said in a low whimper. It was only now seeing her so distraught that Pete realized how closely he cared for her. He could feel her anguish, the pain in her heart, as she sobbed into his hoodie. The hoodie she soon realized was the same one from her apartment.

"Please don't cry anymore." Pete begged her, rubbing his hands up and down her back.

Even though the cars around them honked and blasted their horns, some drivers even rolling down their windows to shout obscenities at them, Pete lid no kind to any of it. The most important thing to him in that moment was the woman in his arms.

With his head resting atop of hers, he whispered into her hair, "Let me take you home."

*

"Ta daaaaaaa!" Pete awkwardly sang as he opened the door to his apartment. "Welcome to Casa di Davidson..."

Dahlia walked through the separate entrance that Pete's basement apartment had from the house upstairs. She was greeted with the strong scent of weed and... popcorn, to Dahlia's surprise.

His home was mostly grey and the space was quite open, there was just enough furniture in his home to keep it from being neither too crowded or too spacious.

Dahlia's eyes landed on the grey inflatable alien sitting in the corner of his living room space, somewhat hiding behind a black basketball encased in a protective glass.

She watched from the corner of her eye as Pete rushed to various points in the apartment, trying to hide stray clothing underneath things and clean up in hopes that Dahlia didn't see the mess. When she would turn to face him, he stood still, as if he wasn't just stressing over the appearance of his home.

"Uhhh, can I get you something to drink...?"

Dahlia politely declined, taking her coat off and letting it flop in her arms. "Oh, I can take that for you!" Pete offered a hand out to her, gently picking the coat up and out of her arms.

"Oh, uhhh, please— make yourself at home." Pete weakly smiled before turning to put Dahlia's coat on a hanger, carefully hanging it up in his closet.

Dahlia wandered around Pete's home, admiring some of the things hanging on his wall, taking a particular interest in some of the movie paraphernalia that offered a look into what Pete loved.

A whole lot of Spongebob, she noticed, giggling to herself softly. She found it super cute.

Snapping Dahlia out of her thoughts was the room going dark for a split second before turning a dim purple. She turned to see Pete lighting a scented candle, carefully waving his hand above it in an attempt to get the scent spread out around the room quicker.