thirty three: the dressing room fiasco

"Dahl, am I hallucinating or did I see Jack in--"

Dahlia didn't hear him come in until he had caught sight of them.

"What in the fuck?!"

This is when Jack finally pulls away and Dahlia can breathe. "Take a picture, why don't you? Maybe I'll sign it for ya if you fuck off."

Pete's face was frozen in a confused rage. He was seething in a burning anger, he felt red hot. Underneath it all, he was broken, because his suspicions were true: Dahlia still had feelings for Jack.

Why do I always fall for the pretty ones? The ones who are way out of my league?

"Pete!" She cried out, pulling him out of his stunned stare. "He forced himself on me."

He blinked, letting reality set in and the seriousness of the situation influence what he did next.

With one long stride from the door, Pete grabbed him by the shoulders and swung him off of Dahlia.

He wanted more than anything to tend to her first. Pete watched as she held herself tight, her arms crossed over her chest.

He knew he had to deal with the problem first, and quick, before he could embrace her.

"You're lucky there's a lady present, dipshit. I would've bitten your fucking ears off by now."

Dahlia clutched her necklace as she watched Pete handle Jack, pushing him back as far away from her as he possibly could.

Pete instinctively looks back to make sure Dahlia was fine before going back to being stone cold and threatening towards Jack.

Jack shoves Pete away from him, groaning in disgust. "You sicken me. Thinking you're the shit, walking around like you're really packing 10 inches.

Come on, dude. Your life is pathetic. Chasing after women you know are out of your league. Way out of your league." Jack chuckles.

Pete smiles with spiteful sarcasm. "Time to piss off, urinal cake. Pretty please?"

Jack sneers at him, the smug grin glued on his face. Taking one last look at Dahlia who won't meet his gaze, he looks Pete and scoffs.

"Enjoy my girl's company, then. While it lasts." With that, he sharply turns and leaves the room with his head held high.

Pete hears Dahlia whimper, shuddering in her seat. He runs to attend to her.

Dropping down so his knees bent just to be eye level with her, he searches her eyes for a sign. He needed to see that the light in her eyes was still there.

"Are you ok? Oh God, did he hurt you? You'll tell me if he hurt you, right?" Dahlia shook him away. All she could say, all she had the strength to say in that moment,

"Take me home, Pete."

He nodded. "Can I carry you to my car?"

Dahlia weakly laughed. "I can walk just fine, though."

"Yeah, but... for insurance and liability purposes, I can't let you walk, Miss." Dahlia chuckled, averting his gaze to hide her blushing cheeks.

With her arms open, he leans in and slides an arm underneath her legs with his other arm supporting her back.

Raising himself up and carefully turning to leave the dressing room, Dahlia cautiously wipes her eyes. "Were you really going to bite his ears off?"

Pete jokes. "Yeah. And I would've shoved them up his ass so he could hear the exact moment I kicked the shit out of him."

The two of them laughed. They laughed until all the air from their lungs had been expelled, until they would need a moment to breathe and sit in silence.

"Anything to defend your honour." Pete said in an almost whisper.

Dahlia smiled at him, snuggling her head into his neck as she rested on his shoulder.

That alone almost made Pete fall to his knees and melt into Dahlia. But, he stayed strong. For the both of them.

Just as Pete was making his way to the elevators, they had seen Lorne come around the corner. He was hollering, waving them down from so far away.

Pete chuckled to himself and it vibrated throughout his body, passing through Dahlia's body, making her chuckle too.

Dahlia signaled for Pete to put her down before Lorne made it to them.

"Hello you two!" He sang, his arms open wide. "I see you guys are really committing to sparking the buzz."

Pete laughed sheepishly, scratching the nape of his neck while avoiding eye contact with Dahlia.

"I wanted to wait and tell the whole cast why I've been so giddy lately, but here you two are!"

Dahlia and Pete were confused and rightfully so.

"I've been looking forward to telling you especially, Dahlia."

What does he mean by that? What's-- what's happening? She nervously thought.

"Jack Veramente, the Jack Veramente, will be our musical guest in time for Thanksgiving!

Won't that just be riveting?"