thirty two: the tension before the hit

Dahlia could hear the first song play through the thin walls of the dressing room.

Her body reacted to all of the familiar parts, but she kept reminding herself she was supposed to be taking the night off. Even if it meant more buzz for the news outlets...

Breaking: "Catwoman" Dahlia Coy is a no-show for this week's SNL amid apartment fire.

She sat in Pete's chair, her left leg crossed over her right as her foot tapped to the beat of the music. In an effort to reduce the gravitational pull of the rhythm, she folded her arms tightly over her chest.

She began to think about the next product launch for her beauty line.

She began to count all of the blue things in Pete's dressing room.

She even began singing along in an effort to scratch the itch that her body so desperately craved.

Leaping up out of her seat, she takes her phone from the counter and tucks it away into her back pocket before she turns the doorknob.

Walking calmly towards the source of the music, listening to the sound grow louder and louder as she strolled through the thin corridors, Dahlia made it to the main stage just as the musical guest was finishing up.

She made it in time to be able to enjoy a few seconds of the last bar and then the round of applause.

There's always the second song. I'll just wait for that, then.

Aside from the backstage crew, Dahlia realized that she was the only other person out in the wings. She watched the musical guest bow and wave to the audience and she pictured herself right there next to them, applauding along with the audience. There was no other way to describe the way she felt in that moment other than being proud of their performance, even though she was no longer a part of it.

Her hands stroked her arms, crossed over her chest as she looked out into the main stage. For a split second, her eyes trailed out over the audience. Of course, when you're on stage it's a little harder to make out just who was watching you from the audience's seat, the overhead lighting was bright enough to make the seating area look almost dark and deserted. In the wings, however, the sight was a lot clearer.

When her eyes landed deep in the audience, Dahlia felt her heart drop.

Without thinking it through, she spun around on her heel and began to speed walk straight back down the hall she first came through. The pulse in her veins echoed throughout her body, trying to tell her how loud her heart was screaming. It was all around her and it was in her ear.

Her feet carried her down the tight walkway, she had sped back down to the dressing room practically floating. Once she reached the door to Pete's room, she twisted the knob and flew inside, her mind still fogged from what she had just seen.

Naturally, at this point, she knew she should have double checked to make sure that there had been no one in the dressing room before storming in unannounced. Luckily for her, the room was just as she left it.

Spotting her Longchamp purse on the table, Dahlia rushes over to collect her things, carelessly throwing them into her bag. She was focused only on getting everything packed up.