Chapter 14- Ruby

Chapter 14: Ruby

Ruby sat down beside Melanie.

“I’m guessing you two also have names?” she said, directing the question to Melanie and Alice.

The two girls introduced themselves.

“So, you wanted to know what we’re doing in this forest,” Hazel said.

Ruby nodded.

Hazel re-told the story.

“…we stopped here to investigate something and came to the large wall about hundred metres that way,” Hazel said pointing. “Our friend slipped inside to see if she could find out what it is. We came here and set up camp. We’ll probably be gone by tomorrow.”

Hazel paused.

“I’m guessing we can trust you, since someone who’s paranormal wouldn’t turn their own kind over to the Collective, would they?” Hazel said to Ruby, as more of a statement than a question.

Ruby was taken aback.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Ruby said defensively.

Of course you do,’ Hazel mind-spoke.

“Was that you?” Ruby asked Hazel.

‘Do you think it was?’ Hazel mind-spoke again, giving a questioning look to Ruby.

“It was you,” Ruby exclaimed. “How do you do that?”

“I’m a telepath. It’s what I do,” Hazel replied.

“So all of you are paranormal?” Ruby asked.

“Yeah, weren’t you listening to our recount of why we’re here?” Melanie teased.

“Ok, I admit it. I’m paranormal- even though Hazel knew that already,” Ruby said, glancing at Hazel who only smiled.

“Since you told me you’re story, I’ll tell you mine,” Ruby said, and she began…

“I guess you could call me a fugitive. They came for us a few weeks after the new law came out, us meaning my brother and I.  We’ve been inseparable since our parents died. We were staying at a foster home when I had an accident. It was that that got them on to us.”

“Accident?” Melanie interrupted.

“My power, as you call it, went out of control,” Ruby told them.

‘I can relate to that,’ Hazel thought to herself, thinking back to the power blast that had sent cars flying.

Ruby continued her story. “We ran and hid, but eventually they caught up to us. We had nowhere else to go. My brother sacrificed himself for me, so I could escape. He said he’d rather know that I was on the outside, that I was safe. I had no choice but to run. I vowed that I would rescue him.

I followed my brother’s signal and it stopped here, behind those walls. That’s where they are keeping him. I’ve been hiding out around here, trying to find a way in. My paranormal ability may be useful sometimes, but it doesn’t help me in this area.”

“What do you mean by ‘signals’ and what is your power?” Alice asked, once Ruby had finished.

“As an answer to the first question, all our lives we’ve been able to know exactly where the other is, I don’t know for sure, but I think it has something to do with my brother and I being twins. I guess we let off a ‘signal’ that the other can track,” Ruby said. “As for the second question, my power is that I can create and control fire and heat. As I said, it comes in handy for keeping warm but all it can really do is harm. I don’t like to use it. Anyway, enough about me, what are your powers?”