Chapter 21- A Villain's Triumph

Chapter 21: A Villain’s Triumph

Hazel and Ruby eventually got back into bed and fell asleep, feeling relaxed and happy.

The next morning, they got dressed and went to the cafeteria where they had some breakfast.

After the meal the two girls went to see Alice.

The doctor informed them that she was awake and they were eager to see how she was doing.

Hazel and Ruby walked into the room where Alice sat upright in the hospital bed. She held a remote in her hand and was flicking through channels on a television that sat on the wall in front of her.

She turned to see who had come in. Her eyes lit up when she recognised her friends.

“Hazel! Ruby!” she exclaimed.

Hazel half-walked, half-ran towards Alice and embraced her warmly.

“How are you?” Hazel asked.

Alice shifted in the bed and turned the television off.

“I’m fine,” Alice replied. “The doctors and nurses have been good to me, but what about you? Where are the others? I’ve been impatient since I heard you’d brought me in, and now you’re here.”

“We’re fine,” Ruby said, walking over less quickly with her sore ankle.

Alice noticed the limp. “What happened to your ankle?”

“I tripped over a log in the forest and landed on it badly. It’s nothing really,” Ruby replied.

Alice let the topic go.

In answer to Alice’s earlier questions Hazel said, “The others are waiting at the beach house for us. When you’re better we can go and meet them.”

Alice smiled. Everyone was alright.

“How’s your side?” Hazel asked.

Alice lifted her shirt to reveal a large bandage that wrapped around her waist.

“They put stitches in and cleaned and bandaged it. It’s healing really quickly. I can hardly feel it now,” Alice told them.

“How has it healed so fast?” Hazel asked, having seen the original wound.

“Because I’m a shape shifter I re-energize faster than other people, except for healers of course.” She paused, “It means that I heal faster too. It can come in handy.”

She looked at Hazel and Ruby.

“I heard you were quite heroic in your rescue of me,” Alice said.

“We just did what we had to,” Hazel said.

“I think you did more than that,” Alice said quietly, just loud enough for the two of them to hear her.

Hazel and Ruby spent the rest of the day with Alice.

Alice expected that she would have to stay in the hospital for another day at most and then she would be able to go with Hazel and Ruby to the beach house.

With Alice’s miraculous healing, they needed to leave as quickly as possible before anyone grew suspicious and awkward questions were asked.

Hazel’s stomach grumbled letting her know it wanted to eat lunch.

Hazel told Ruby and Alice before leaving the room and heading to the cafeteria.

Ruby had collected the pack of cards from their room earlier in the day and Ruby was in the middle of an intense game with Alice.