chapter 19

Luz Pov

I stood in the Blight kitchen sweat dripping down my forehead, it was uncomfortably hot today and my run had destroyed me, Odalia stood at the stove cooking breakfast, she passed me a bottle of water and I graciously took it before collapsing into my seat. "I heard its your birthday today Luz." Odalia said as she passed me a cup of coffee "yup my 18th birthday, I don't ever really celebrate my birthday because I have no one to celebrate it with ya know." She nodded sadly "well today we will when you and Amity get back from your date I'm cooking dinner and inviting all your friends over for a movie night." She smiled triumphantly as she went to write a list "oh Odalia you don't have to do that." She smiled at me holding my injured hand in hers "there will be a party for our favourite human and thats final alright, you make my daughter so happy and when it comes time to celebrate you I must jump on the opportunity." I thanked her as she turned back to her list. I sipped my coffee and scrolled through Pensta, I found myself looking through old posts of the gang, thats when I started getting notifications. I looked at my mentions and people were wishing me happy birthday, Boscha posted a photo of me at the beach years ago, Willow posted a photo of the two of us at the blight bash, Gus posted a photo of us at the Grudgby match four years ago. I felt tears form, I was so happy no one ever really mentioned my birthday but now almost our entire grade was wishing me a happy birthday, I was so happy. I texted them all thanking them for wishing me a happy birthday, they instantly all asked me what I wanted and I said they didn't need to buy anything their presence was more than enough for me. Odalia passed me a plate of bacon eggs and toast "you are so unlike my children Luz, they get up only an hour before school but you're up three hours before much like me, this means you get a tasty breakfast." I chuckled as she sat next to me grabbing the paper and sipping on her coffee. My human phone buzzed and it was a message from Bella "hey Luz happy 18th I can't wait to see you in two days I'm gonna squeeze you so tight I love you dummy <3" I responded back with a thanks as I heard three sets of steps walking through the halls "oh titans they're alive." Odalia groaned sipping her coffee. "MOM did u seriously make Luz breakfast and not your actual children!" Edric groaned pushing his mothers paper down forcing her to look at him "well if you were downstairs by 7 like Luz was then maybe I will plus its her birthday Ed." he groaned before a grin appeared on his face "wait here" he ran up the stairs as Amity and Emira poured themselves a coffee. Ed reappeared with a large box in his hands "I only told him at 3 this morning it was your birthday I have no idea how he got this." Amity chuckled as she sat next to me, Ed slid he box towards me and I opened it, inside was a purple guitar, I was shocked "its from Em and I, I remembered how much you enjoyed playing my guitar the last time you were here so I pulled some strings and had it delivered by 5 this morning, I hope you like it." He smiled at me as Emira passed me a small card that said happy birthday signed by the two of them. "Holy crap you guys, this is one of the best birthday presents I've ever gotten, I'm speechless thank you so much." I jumped up and wrapped the twins in a bear hug.

I got out of the shower and put on a pair of jeans and a tank top and flannel, it was a free dress day so I wanted to wear my normal clothes, luckily Eda had dropped some clothes off for me, I felt guilty about not seeing Eda as much but even when I was in the human realm we basically kept in contact the entire time via telephone and FaceTime, she found some old sketchy apple phone that worked just fine. Odalia said she invited both Eda and Lilith tonight so ill get to see her and we are spending the week with her next week purely because Amity is feeling a bit anxious about her father being back, which is understandable to be fair. I shook my wet hair before picking up my toothbrush and brushing my teeth quickly, I knew Amity was waiting outside the door and in two minutes would be shouting at me to move faster, that girl was cute when she was bossy. I stepped out of the bathroom meeting the golden eyes of my girlfriend "well hi there cutie." A strong blush formed on her face as she swatted my arm and rolled her eyes at me, I took in the view in front of me, she wore a short black skirt and a blue cropped hoodie that showed of her toned stomach "finished staring Noceda?" I felt my face flush red as she Amity threw my bag at me, I smiled and grabbed her hand dragging her out of her bedroom and into the living room. "Luz before you go this is for you." I turned to Odalia who passed me a small box, I cocked my head in confusion as I opened it and came eye to eye with a beautiful silver ring, it was plain but had small dents in it "oh gosh I cannot accept this Ms Blight." I pushed the box towards her and she pushed it right back "its a witches coming of age present, usually something small, Amity's are her silver studs, I thought I might get you one because you are a witch of course and I didn't think earrings were your style." I felt shocked, tears threatened to spill out as much to Odalia's surprise I engulfed her in a hug, I pulled away and slipped the ring on the index finger of my left hand, I noticed the dents looked like the Glyph for balls of light. "Oh yes the Light glyph, you can tap it and it will instantly form a light ball, I thought it was a neat trick." She smiled as I pressed the ring and a small light floated towards Amity before dissipating as it hit her nose "Ms Blight this is amazing thank you so much." She smiled and pushed us out the door, I smiled widely as I grabbed my girlfriends hand and walked to school.