12❦︎

We got on our bikes El riding with me on the back of my bike. As we rode through town she looked as if she was in awe of all the buildings.

She pointed to the bookstore and asked, "What is it?"

I turned to look at what she was pointing at, I saw it was the bookstore as we passed it. "That is a bookstore El, like a place where people go to buy new books to read. It's one of my favorite places to go. When we get back to the house I'll read you a part of my favorite book, and I'll explain all the parts you don't understand, ok?"

She smiled, "Promise?"

"I promise."

The boys and I eventually stopped at the school. I helped El get off my bike and we raced inside.

"Remember, if anyone sees us look sad," Mike told all of us.

"Attention students," A voice announced on the speakers. It was static-y but understandable. "there will be an assembly to honor Will Byers in the gymnasium now. Do not go to fourth period." The voice finished.

We walked up to the audio-visual room and Mike tried opening the handle, "It's locked," He finally gave up after a few tries.

"What?" Lucas said and tried opening it himself.

"Oh, that's gonna work. If it's not like its locked or anything." I said sarcastically.

"Why don't you try it then?" He grunted.

"Well I would, but it appears as tho it is locked, and that means no one can open it without a key." I smiled innocently. Lucas glared at me.

"Stop fighting, and Y/N stop being a smart ass. Hey El, do you think you can open it. With your powers?" Just as Dusin finished saying this Mr. Clarke turned the corner.

"Boys and Y/N, the assembly is about to start."

"We know, we're just, you know..." Mike started to say.

"Upset." Lucas finished but his smile was gonna give us away.

"Definitely upset." Dustin confirmed.

"We're very sad right now." I lied with fake tears starting to form in my eyes.

"We need some alone time." Mike explain really selling the 'sad' look.

"To...cry?" Dustin tried saying but it sounded more like a question.

"Here listen, I get it I do. I know how hard this is, but lets just be there for Will, huh?"

We all nodded simultaneously.

"And then," Mr. Clarke then took the keys to the door out of his pocket and tossed them to Mike. "The Heathkit is yours, for the rest of the day. What do you say?" We all smiled gratefully at him, then he turned to El, "I don't belive we met what's your name?"

"Ele-" El got cut off by Mike yelling,

"ELEANOR!! She's my, uh-"

"Cousin." Lucas finishes.

"Second cousin." Dustin adds.

"She's his favorite cousin." I add.

"Shea's here for Will's funeral." Mike sighs.

"Oh, well, welcome to Hawkins Middle, Eleanor. I wish you were here under better circumstances."

"Thank you." She says politely.

"Uh, where are you from exactly?"

"Bad place-" El starts shaking her head.

"Sweden!" Dustin cuts in. I hit him in a way that Mr. Clarke couldn't see.