~10~

Y/n gave him a sympathetic smile as he looked at her again. "Let's sit first," he said, holding her hand gently as they both sat down on the platform. She gulped as soon as he touched her hand.

He talked continuously about the fight with the flame pillar who he called Kyojuro throughout the whole day. He explained to her how their training together helped him improve and that Homura prepared him in a way. She was happy to hear that she helped him win, but was still concerned that his mood wouldn't improve for a while. Once hearing the part about Muzan, she grabbed his hand to keep him calm.

After hearing all the small but important details of this hashiras swordsmanship skills, the two kneeled silently atop of Homura. Y/n fidgeted with her socks nervously and tried to string together all the thoughts in her head. Akaza stroked the scales on the dragons back in a manner that makes Homura shiver.

"Akaza.." she mumbled quietly.

He hums, telling her that he's listening as he looks up, continuing to stroke Homura.

"Well.." she scratches her leg causing a pattern of crimson to appear. "I have news from that man.

He tensed up. "What is it?"

"He said- that he will get rid of me if anything happens between the two of us."

Silence.

"Either strip me of my rank or kill me."

More silence.

"I think we should continue on as friends." She ducked her head and hid her tearing face with her hands.

Akaza brushed his hands against his pants, thinking. He sighed, happy that he didn't have to tell her how he felt yet. "He also told me that," Y/n tensed up now, "but I won't let him kill you."

Y/n looked up at him, her nails digging into the palms of her hands. He kept his head down as if it were all his fault, though he did make the first move that Y/n was putting in danger.

She could stand the punishment of being demoted but couldn't let herself die yet. Blood dripped down Y/n's hands as she pulled her nails out, pressing her hands to her mouth and eyes as she started to cry. She held her breath to silence herself, but Akaza could still hear her sobs.

He looked up at her alarmed, leaning closer towards her as he reached a hand towards her hair. "Y/n, why are you cr-"

She smacked his hand away and stumbled backwards. Her face was covered with her bloody handprints and it was all soon washed away with her tears that continued to stream.

Akaza's face contorted as she touched him aggressively, but he still kept a calm tone as he tried to speak again. "If your worried about him you don't nee-"

"I am worried about him!" she sobbed, her hands wiping her face rapidly. "I don't want either of us to die so please, please let me leave you alone so I don't ruin everything for you! I'm just a parasite here, I haven't done anything worth praise or recognition, I'm only going to distract you!"

Akaza kneeled with blank eyes as she continued to sob into her shaking hands. He watched her tremble as she summoned her orb, trapping Homura inside of it. The marking on her neck reappeared as the dragon faded and the two demons fell to the wooden floor. Y/n stumbled to her feet and turned to flee, but could tell he was already following her.