~5~

Y/n and Akaza had split up now, both searching different areas for the lily. The girl had looked through a few bushes and different clearings, but only spotted roses and weeds, occasionally a bunny or a small bird.

Akaza moved much quicker than Y/n, searching bushes quickly just by a mere glance. This job was his only, and he knew how to be efficient while searching. He had no idea Y/n was searching carefully and slowly.

The city nearby was loud, and the many cars made loud noises both demons could hear with ease. The wind was calmer this particular night, and the tree leaves made faint sounds over the car horns and motors.

Thoroughly searching each bush, not able to see far with her eyesight, Y/n kneeled on the ground sticking her small head almost completely inside a bush. The noises of crunching leaves and snapping sticks were normal in a forest, however the ones she began to hear sounded as if they were getting closer to her.

Y/n jolted her head out of the bush, rotating her head to see around her.

Snap

The noise was close enough it could have been herself breaking the stick, but she knew it wasn't. The demon stood from her knees and dusted them off while scouting the surrounding area with her eyes. She began to turn around when her heard another stick break, along with some leaves.

Snap

When she least expected it, and what she least expected it to be, a small child, probably only five years old, came from behind a tree with tears streaming down her pale cheeks.

Y/n covered her mouth to prevent scaring the child, and slowly squatted on the ground. This child had no idea that a man eating demon was just a few feet from her, and she also didn't know this demon would not harm her in any way.

The child looked around, still crying and shivering from the night air. And once the girl looked towards the demon, she cried even louder.

Y/n's eyes widened, knowing that she had just scared the girl. She uncovered her mouth and crawled towards the girl on her hands and knees.

"Are you lost?" Y/n asked, rubbing the girls shoulder.

She continued to cry, but nodded in response.

Y/n had set herself a rule when she became a demon, much like Akaza did. She would not harm any child she would possibly come across. And even though she was just as much a demon as any of the others, she couldn't bring herself to do such a thing for so little of a reward.

Y/n wiped a tear from the girls face. "Do you know where you live?"

"A city," she responded, her crying beginning to fade.

"That's good!" Y/n said cheerfully, "I know just where that is!"

The girl sniffed. "You do?"

She nodded. "Would you like me to take you there?"

"Yes please," she said, putting a smile on her face.

Y/n picked up the girl and sat her on her hip. She rested her head on Y/n's arm as she stood up and began walking towards the city.

——

Making her way through the trees with the girl sitting comfortably on her hip, Y/n more quickly searched for the flower, more just glancing than searching. A few more roses had caught her eye, but she quickly returned to her trail.

Akaza, about a mile or more away from the girl had his same luck. Few flowers at all, no traces and the smallest clearings. He had seen the few deer again, but they didn't see him. The sun would rise soon, meaning he would need to find the flower before that time came.

Y/n was only a few more minutes away from the city, and tried her best hide anything that could make her stand out.

She took a deep breath to calm down. "Do you know where you live?" she asked the girl.

"In a tall building, it has a lot of windows," she responded, twisting her hair around her finger.

Light had began to shine through the trees, and through them came the view of a wall that guarded the city within them. And even better, the gate was right ahead.

——————

Word count: 727

Word count: 727