-16-

Thump.

Y/n's head fell to the ground, and she fell to her knees. Akaza grabbed his head with both hands and held it into place to reattach it, then scrambled onto the ground by the other demon. He moved one hand onto his hair and pressed down so it could connect with his throat, gritting his teeth as he coughed out blood onto the floor. He moved his other hand towards Y/n's crumbling body. The men were alarmed that he was going to reattach his head so soon, and that he could do it quickly if he did, and so, Giyuu hurled his broken sword through the air into Akaza's skull and knocked it behind Y/n.

His head began to disintegrate slowly, and he was frozen. His hand hovered over Y/n's shoulder, she hadn't seen all that had happened since her vision faced the wooden roof. Her hands shook as she picked up her head, half had turned to ash already, and her hair had been cut short from Tanjirous blade. She gripped her hair in sudden anger and regret. If she were only stronger, Akaza's head might still be attached to that strong body of his. Oh how she wanted to be as strong as him, he could take down any hashira he wanted without much worry. She held her head close to her body and faced the eyes towards upper three. Tears rolled out of her fading eyes but turned to ash almost instantly.

Out of no where, Akaza's hand landed onto her shoulder and pulled her head from her arms, forcefully stuffing it onto her exposed neck bone. He jumped up and used his compass needle to attack the younger boy again, successfully kicking him into a wall. Y/n breathed heavily and tried her best to reattach her head, but all she could manage was to slow down the disappearing skull. She choked on her tears, knowing it was all over for her. Akaza began to fight with Giyuu again, carefully watching Y/n crumble as he did so.

Her head had began to throb wildly. It pounded and ached and made her wince in pain. Blood had already covered the neon patterns on her tattered clothes. The little patterns no long showed their bright colors like they once did. Her ears were ringing now, but she looked over to the men who stood beside her. Akaza stood ready to return to Tanjirou, but stopped and faced Giyuu. He stepped towards him, but Y/n had grabbed his hand to stop him from proceeding any further. She kneeled on the ground behind him, clutching her head in her arms, finally having given up on reattaching it.

"Akaza, stop already." Tears welled up in the girls eyes as Akaza looked at her. "Please let go," she begged.

"I can't. I have to kill them."

"But why?" she asked, her fingers turning to ash in his own.

He spoke in a whisper, "I have to become stronger and kill anyone who gets in my way."

"Why must you have to become stronger? You already are."

"Because if I don't, I won't be able to bring it back."

Y/n fell down to the ground, only holding herself up by one of her forearms. More tears streamed out of her eyes. She didn't understand what he was saying. Bring what back? And to who?

Akaza stood still, then he faced towards Giyuu, regrowing his head and ignoring the other demon the best he could. Tanjirou woke up abruptly just as Y/n's head fell from her grasp in front of Akaza. She slid backwards towards Tanjirou, but her body collapsed onto the ground. More tears streamed out of her eyes as her head turned to complete ash, leaving only her eyes left. Her body followed, and the last thing she saw, was the blue light of destructive kill.

——

Darkness fell as a veil on her vision. A small light illuminated the small area around Y/n. Up ahead was a figure, down on their knees, perhaps sleeping? But wait, was that Akaza? He was here too, but, was he? This place was dark, and the soft fabric of new clothing fell around her wrists. On her hands were a new shiny, and rounded, rather than sharp, set of nails. She cautiously walked over to the undefined figure of Akaza.

From what Y/n saw, Akaza's body was crumbling and covered in blood, but after a single blink of her eye, he kneeled in front of her. Y/n's hand made it's way to his pink hair, that faded into a deep black just as her hand collided with the strands. He stared mindlessly at her as if she were a ghost, but once his eyes changed from their yellow hue to a more human like blue, tears rolled from his eyes at the sight of her, and he instantly knew the girl was Y/n, just only a human now. He threw his hands around the waist of Y/n, stuffing his face into her clothing.

Through tears he tried to speak, to apologize to her for all that he had done. He apologized for not protecting her, for not finishing the fight, and for all things that he shouldn't have been sorry for. Y/n thought she should have been the one apologizing, for holding him back and risking their lives far too many times in the past.

He struggled to bring his head up to look at her, but when he did, through a wall of tears, her face, and her eyes, still brightly colored, faced him, smiling at him.

"Y/n.." He shakily stood from his knees to face her more properly, examining her new human features as he did so.

"Akaza..." She held his face within her hands, and pressed a kiss onto his lips. And after they parted, they held each other in their arms, happy to be at peace and without worry. There was no more Muzan, no more demons, and no more demon slayers.

As she ran her fingers through his dark hair, she quietly called out to him, "you never told me what you wanted to say before I left."

He pulled his head from her clothes, silently standing up as he brought his hands to her face. He smiled, and spoke once more before he kissed her,

"I love you."

——————

A/n: That's the end! I really am not in love with how i have written this story or how it turned out but a few of my loyal readers happen to love this story, and i'm so glad you like it. This was my first story and it didn't turn out as i had thought it would, but i absolutely love akaza with my whole heart and thought he deserved a happy ending.

I also feel bad for basically replacing koyuki, and i decided to change the story at last minute from a draft with y/n and koyuki living with akaza/hakuji because i thought it wouldn't make sense in the long run, but i do say i'm more pleased with this version of the draft.

Thank you for reading this!

Final word count: 1225