~9~

Four days later

Y/n paced while waiting for Akaza to arrive back from his mission, sweating and rubbing a new cut on her arm that hadn't healed yet. He should have been back hours ago, she thought, worried that he may be in trouble.

Memories of four days before still flooded her mind, and were invading her thoughts constantly. She dreamed about that night while resting, while walking through the woods, while feeding. Neither one of them had known what do after that moment, so Y/n had leaned on his shoulder and continued watching the show.

Now she was wondering if all was lost. If he wouldn't return. Or if...

She continued to pace, messing with the rim of her clothes and gritting her teeth. The creaks of wood and sounds of a biwa messed with her head, not even realizing they weren't imaginary sounds.

Two strokes of a biwa, and several creeks of wood made their way to Y/n's ears, and she finally looked up. Akaza was sulking towards her, looking worn out and beaten down. Y/n stayed put waiting for him to say something. Wood creaked more, and he got closer to her, slowing his pace. His head was down, and he looked at his feet. The small patterned haori once wore by him was now shredded and falling off his shoulders, burnt around the edges and blackened by flames.

He sighed, and moved himself towards Y/n, wrapping his arms around her figure and stuffing his face into her neck. Y/n stood still a moment, her mouth agape. By the way he slumped his shoulders, she could tell something was bothering him. To comfort him, she moved her arms from her sides and held him close by the back of his neck. Her ear gently rested next to his, and she could hear his slowing heart rate.

He leaned down to her, but didn't mind it at all. After defeating a hashira, Muzan was still not pleased with Akaza. He didn't praise him at all. How could it have meant nothing? Though he didn't find the flower, couldn't this have been good news at least?

Why cant I ever be enough for him? He thought.

He had began to cry softly enough into her neck so she wouldn't notice it, he couldn't be weak right now, not in front of her.

He had even gotten so mad earlier that he smashed the sword that had been thrown at his back while escaping the sun. Muzan's unpleased words sent Akaza's mind into hell, causing him to almost obliterate the forest he passed through on his way.

Maybe it was the sun. He could have killed the bystanders and pleased Muzan if it weren't for the sun. He wouldn't have had to run away, and be called a coward by the earring boy, if it weren't for the sun. Finding the spider lily should have been his top goal, instead he thought of other ways to escape his misery.

Y/n ran her fingers through the pink strands of short hair on the males head, as he calmed himself in her arms.

She was being indecisive. She couldn't bring herself to ask him what was wrong incase it brought him into a worse mood. But, she also wanted to say something to make him act his normal self again.

Her news to come wouldn't help with his mood either.

He remained in the same spot for a while, breathing lightly on the side of her neck. He was also deciding what to do. If he should tell her what was wrong so she could make him feel like himself again, or if he should stay quiet and bottle up his emotions like he'd been doing for hundreds of years.

He loved Y/n but didn't know how to tell her. Three nights ago was the best he could do to show her without using any words.

His body moved on its own again, pulling his hands to her waist and his head out of her neck. Her hands slid onto his icy shoulders as their eyes met. Akaza looked tired, but he was just fed up of the same way he'd been treated by Muzan recently. Y/n had the biggest look of concern on her face that was genuine.

"Y/n... I..."

He stopped and looked down at the ground, searching his soul for any courage to tell her what he wanted to.

His eyes trailed back up to meet her eyes. She could tell something different was bothering him now. Carefully, she moved a hand up to meet his face, rubbing a thumb under his eye. Just this small thing that she did made him a thousand times happier. He leaned into her hand and closed his eyes, bringing up a hand to place on top of hers.

He'd almost forgotten about what had happened after the train wreck because of her. But when she spoke, it set in again.

"Can I ask you what happened?" she said.

——

word count: 849

word count: 849