chapter one

Genevieve Austina Clairmont hated change. She detested it even. When Paris Geller got a higher grade than her, back in freshman year biology, she worked her ass off, and maybe did some sabotaging to get back to the top. She was a powerful girl, having connections, charm, and the manipulation of a machiavellist.

She'd gone to school with the very same kids ever since she was a kid. From Paris, Louise, and Madeline, to her own friend group, made up of Alina, Delphine, and Hestia. Of course there were other kids in their grade too, but they were rarely important in her day-to-day life. The thing that everything and everyone had in common though, was that they were permanent, they remained the same old people they always were. Even Tristan Dugray, who'd been a first class nuisance to everyone with a pulse ever since kindergarten remained permanent.

Genevieve craved stability, and she went almost all sixteen years of her life with it in school, but it all crumbled the day Rory Gilmore arrived at Chilton, starry eyed and innocence seeping out of her overly large pores- Hestia's words, not hers. She hated not knowing something just as much as she hated change, which is why she was currently sitting in the main courtyard of the school, with an undisturbed view of the entry doors of Chilton.

"This is your fault you know," Paris approached her on the first day of the new semester, they sat and watched as Rory Gilmore and her mother wandered aimlessly, looking for the Ambroise building.

"Please," She said in a light voice, "Nothing bad that has happened on this Earth has ever been my fault,"

"I'm not so sure about that one now little Clairmont," Tristan said, the two girls turned around to find him leaning nonchalantly against a marble column. Genevieve felt Paris tense up next to her.

"Based on your grades, I find it hard for a person like you to be sure about something," She pressed her lips into a thin line, "Why aren't you in class?"

He completely ignored her and trained his focus on the new girl who was standing silently next to her mother as she chatted up one of the PTA dads, "Who's that?"

"New girl," Paris answered, "Rory Gilmore,"

"Grandparents are Emily and Richard Gilmore, the latter works for one of my father's company branches," Genevieve said, and turned to Paris, "Get her file will you?"

"What?"

Her face blanked, "You were already planning on getting it weren't you? Oh Paris you naughty naughty girl,"

"Shut up!"

"Well, you get that done, and send me what you find," She picked up her bag, "Try not to be late? Okay?"

"I'm never late," Paris called after her.

Genevieve called back, "First time for everything,"

"So," Tristan stuck his hands into his pockets, following her, "Where are we going?"

"I have AP lang," She said, stopping at her locker to exchange her bag for a few books. Genevieve found herself growing irritated at the boy's presence next to her, "Are you a damn dog or something?"

"Just figured we could walk to class together," He smirked

"We don't have class for another thirteen minutes," She said, "Maybe you have a girl who's pants you wanna get into?"

. . .

It was very much Genevieve's luck that Rory Gilmore was in her first class of the day, she sat with the tip of her pen in her mouth, watching as the timid girl sat herself down out of any attention. If the universe was in her favor, Rory wouldn't be a threat whatsoever, and would just fall off of her radar like the rest of her plain classmates.