03 - B.A.R.F

NO FAMILY IS PERFECT
we fight, we argue, and even at times, we stop talking to one another. However, in the end, family is family and the love will always be there"
UNKNOWN

    There was a woman, she looked about mid-40s but no one could tell for sure. Her beauty was radiant as her talent displayed itself. Her hands moved gracefully across the keyboard as she sang.

"Try to remember the kind of September, when grass was green.." Her voice of a nightingale as her polished tone took the small verse. Her elegance and grace as she sang would have any listener strung as their body swayed with the words in the air. The scenery around the woman defined the entire aura of the song. The entire room around her was decorated elegantly, there was Christmas decor strung around the room in neutral tones, unlike most homes. No children were running around, no pattering of feet through the home, it was silent and peaceful. Her wondrous words left her when a man walked in. He looked older than the woman at the piano, but even the meekest of creatures could tell through her loving aura and his relaxed posture that they were involved in some kind of relationship.

"Wake up, dear, and say goodbye to your father." The woman said, her tone was soft yet busy. Her fingers still gracing the keys as she played the tune. A young man awoke from the couch wearing a Santa hat, he had the looks of his parents. His astound physique as well as his graceful facial structure made it undeniable.

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?" The older man asked sarcastically, looking over at his son seriously. The young boy chuckled. The older man's tone was more serious and strict than the woman's, and that was evident from the moment he spoke his first word.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas... right before you leave town." The young boy said looking at his father in annoyance.

"Be nice, dear, he's been studying abroad." The woman said, continuing to play.

"Really? Which broad? What's her name?" The older man said, giving his boy the stink eye. As he took the hat off the boy's head.

"Candice." The boy replied nonchalantly, giving his father the same look.

"Do me a favor, don't burn the house down before Monday." The older man replied

"Ok, so it's Monday." The boy said walking over to his mother, placing a light hand on her shoulder as she played. "That's good to know, I'll plan my toga party accordingly." The boy added, taking his light hand off his mother to prop himself up against a wall. "Where are you going?" He asked after a short silence.

"Your father's flying us to the Bahamas for a little getaway." The woman replied, leaning into her soft tune.

"We might have to make a quick stop." His father added.

"At the Pentagon. Right?" The boy paused. "Don't worry, you're gonna love the holiday menu at the commissary." He said looking at his mother. She stopped her elegant tune leaving more to be desired when the sound no longer graced the ears of those in the room.

"They say sarcasm is a metric for potential." His father said. "If that's true, you'll be a great man someday." He added, buttoning one of the buttons on his suit. "I'll get the bags." He directed towards his wife, making his way out of the room. His son had his back turned to him, frustrated at his words.

"He does miss you when you're not here." The woman said, placing a hand on her son's shoulder. "And frankly, you're going to miss us. Because this is the last time we're all going to be together. You know what's about to happen. Say something. If you don't, you'll regret it." Her wisdom floated around the room just like the small verse she sang earlier. His father reentered the room and the boy turned to face him.