17 - NEVER LETTING GO

"THEM" "THOSE PEOPLE" "THEY"
also have a backstory, layers, conflicted motives, dreams, anxieties, fears, trauma, and tragedy like you and I do. We are often them and they are often us.
UNKNOWN

───── ⋆⋅🥀⋅⋆ ─────

What most recovering coma patients don't seem to talk about much is the fact that you are right there, listening, feeling, smelling, and tasting everything around you. Maybe they don't because it hurts, it's an isolating feeling, being a part of your loved ones' lives without them knowing you're there, but you are there, right there, so close you could almost reach out, but you just can't. It is the most frustrating and exhausting feeling you've ever known.

"Day 430 of stress-induced coma patient Allison Barnes and medically induced coma patient James Barnes. Both patients seem to be improving. The steady signs of cardiac arrest in Allison have seemed to stop all together and vital signs are showing an upward flux towards waking up soon," Dr. Stuart, one of the residents in my main doctor's program. She had never left the both of us unattended, usually having an intern nearby. I still have yet to learn her name, but she seems to not appreciate the coldness that one of the interns tried to introduce when they asked why she used her patients' names instead of assigning them numbers.

───── ⋆⋅🥀⋅⋆ ─────

"Excuse me doctor," a small, squeaky voice politely asked, I could hear the glare the intern was getting from their resident, but the warm female voice I had grown so accustomed to spoke up.

"What's your question," she inquired, a slight shuffle allowed the intern to move to the front of the group.

"Why do you use their names, even if they can't hear you? Wouldn't it be easier to use their chart assigned number? At least while their not here," the intern questioned, their squeaky uneven voice growing in confidence as they tried to dehumanize my husband and I just because it was more convenient.

"We don't know that they can't hear us," the woman's honeyed tone becoming hard in pitch as she spat out the words. "What's your name intern," the doctor asked, she seemed to look over at their respective resident who stuttered for a moment.

"I'm doctor Aaron Miller, ma'am," his voice became strained once again seeing that he made the wrong comment.

"Alright Miller, if you would like to dehumanize my patients due to the fact of convenience then I'm afraid my program isn't the right pick for you. It is scientifically proven that coma patients can hear the people around them, so my question for you is; would you be more inclined to recover in someone were to address you as a number? Or would you rather be called by your name," the doctor grilled, I could practically feel her glare as the intern stuttered for a moment.

"M-my n-name, doctor," he finally responded, his voice pointed towards the floor as if he were looking at his shoes in shame.

"Thank you, but the question was rhetorical. From now on I'll be addressing you as 372, see how you like it when being addressed as a number. When Allison wakes up," she paused, adding extra emphasis to my name, "you will apologize for your foolish actions, even if she didn't hear, only then will you return to your normal name, understand," she ordered, taking a calming breath as she waited for the intern to answer.

"Y-y-yes ma'am- I m-mean doctor," he stuttered, then there was more shuffling as he moved back towards the back of the crowd of doctors.