The Neglected Spirit

I analyzed him up and down. He was a wolf with a mechanical left arm. He had blue eyes that stared into your soul. His fur was a vibrant red, with a more crimson red accenting the arms and legs. He looked really nervous and shy.

"You're a Bloodwolf?!"

He hesitated with a sigh. "Yes, I am. I understand if you don't want me to be your-"

"I've never seen anyone with the spirit of a Bloodwolf before. This is awesome!" I celebrated in place.

He sighed. "Thank you so much. Most people don't like us Bloodwolves."

"Oh, really? If anything, you guys had the most interesting abilities known to man."

"No, they do not believe that. They only see us as genetic mistakes."

"Jeez, who have you been choosing? I only know Bloodwolves because of history class. You guys were known to use blood and were praised by man for generations."

"That's not the truth." You could see his smile fading. "Heh, schools never seem to accurately depict history."

"Then what really happened? I was told they were praised by man and died as a result of crossfire when the spirits went insane."

He hesitated. "They're trying to cover up the truth." He hesitated again. He clearly doesn't want to venture into this memory. "They hated us. They would berate us, belittle us. They hunted us for sport. They didn't care about us. When the spirits started forming, I was the last Bloodwolf alive. Eventually, I was found and killed by one of the earlier clans of humans. I became a spirit and caused havoc. I started the breaking of contracts. I almost drove the humans to extinction, and I don't regret it. I made their lives hell for ruining mine."

I didn't know what to say. I felt empathetic for him, but I didn't know what to add. "I never knew my mom. She broke her spirit's contract and went insane. I've never seen her or met her. I was too young to remember her."

There was an awkward silence. "I guess we share that in common: we've lost someone we loved dearly."

"Yeah." Another silence. "Hey, I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's fine. I'm sorry for venting it all out to you."

"You needed to let it all out. I understand."

"It just hurts when no one believes me."

"Well, you're the one who was there in the moment. Oh, out of curiosity, what was your requirement to call me?"

"Oh, it was a couple things. First was to have drawn enough blood, and, no offense, but you are VERY accident prone."

"Yeah." I chuckled. "Cut open a finger being an idiot with scissors once."

"Yeah, it looked like it really hurt. Anyway, the second one was to stand up for yourself, even if it means going against better judgement. Lastly, get into a fight."

"Well, I killed 2 birds with 1 stone for those."

"Yep, and I'm willing to help. If you'll allow me, of course."

"I assume you've gotten into fights before?"

"I tore off a guy's limb and ripped out his heart."

I was silent in shock. I've heard some dark shit before, but damn, that's a lot. "Have you been in fights that DIDN'T result in someone's death?"

"Only a few, but yes."

"Okay, good. I swore to a fight after school with a bully after standing up for Axo."