Wolves of a Pack

I woke up in a dark room. It was clearly night time, as there was a window Just to my right that I could see out of. Next to me was my parents, who seemed to be asleep. It looked like they were crying earlier. I tried to gain my surroundings, but it was hard to see at the light level. I decided to close my eyes until morning.

Morning didn't take long to come. I woke up before my parents, who stayed over night. I was their child anyway, so of course they were worried.

"Oh, you're awake!"

I looked over to the door, which was covered before. There was a kangaroo spirit with nurse clothing on peaking through the curtain. She walked in and took a look at my vitals and I.

"You seem to be in good condition, for the most part."

"What happened to me?"

"Ask him." She pointed to a mirror hanging above my head. I looked inside and saw Buraddorufu in the spot that I was. "It was quite the chaos. Luckily, you were the only one injured."

I reached out to Bura. What happened?

"I'm sorry Fang, but I tried to warn you."

That doesn't help.

"You and I became a manifest."

I had to physically look away from the mirror for a hot second. I couldn't believe what I just heard. My head got that splitting pain again. I grabbed it and clenched hard.

"That's an aftermath side affect. I'm sorry. I did a number on you."

The pain started subside. I couldn't speak, but I could still communicate with Buraddorufu. I don't blame you. I was the one to lash out myself. You just lost control of me.

"No, I'm the one that caused the manifest. I was freaking out over you going so harsh on Xelovoir."

To be fair, he was being a dick.

"Yeah, but what you did was uncalled for."

I looked away from the mirror again. I tried to think about the situation that came up, but my head started hurting again.

"I can help you with that."

I suddenly flashed to that tunnel. It was more of a third person perspective, as I was onlooking the entire situation. I watch every single detail until the manifest started. That's when I flashed back to the room.

"I couldn't hold the memory after that moment."

I sat in silence for a bit. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on him.

"I'm glad you see that now, but it won't help us get back together any sooner. I'm on a lock down. I can't be anyone's spirit until the clock strikes."

What's stopping you?

"What do you mean? You want me to just break the law because you realized you fucked up?"

I mean, we could probably talk something out with Leon.

"No, that's not gonna work. You attacked the one person he considers his son. There's no doubt he'll say no or lengthen the sentence."

I'm not leaving you. I'm not going to accept this punishment.

"You can't convince a judge to drop murder charges because you regret killing innocents."

I'm not leaving you. I will manifest again if it means we're sticking together.

"I'm sorry, but you have to find someone else. This marks the 5th time I've manifested someone. When you reach 5, your sentence is being phantomed."

Wait, what?!

"It won't be long until I'm phantomed, in fact, I think I hear someone coming."

After a bit, a voice came from Buraddorufu's ears. It's time. Have you said your final goodbyes?

Yes, I'm ready.

Buraddorufu walked away from the mirror and it flashed back into an actual mirror. I was in shock. Buraddorufu being phantomed? I'm not gonna have a spirit?! No, I've grown such a bond with him, I don't wanna lose him now!

I made a portal rune and set it to Buraddorufu. I placed the rune on my body and closed my eyes. My parents screamed at me, startled, but it was too late. When I felt a different environment, I opened my eyes.

There was a rope fence guarding a wooden platform. There were people around me cheering and chanting. They seemed to like what was going on. On the platform, there were 2 guards and a guillotine. There was someone already in the guillotine, but I didn't know who it was. One of the guards pulled a lever and the blade dropped down. When it his the spirit, they disintegrated and formed into a sphere with a flaming aura around it. It flew into the sky and flashed a star before disappearing.

I looked to the left and saw another guard bringing someone in. I couldn't tell at first because of the crowd, but when they got closer, I saw who it was. Buraddorufu. I ducked under the rope and ran to him, but the second guard on the platform jumped down and grabbed me.

"Do not disturb the phantom ritual."

The guard forced me to watch as Buraddorufu was brought up and locked into the guillotine. He looked around as best as he could, but I could tell he couldn't see much.

The first guard spoke up. "This is Buraddorufu. The reason he is here today is because of his 5th manifest. If the accused has any final words, he may speak them now."

"I just want to say one thing. Fang, if you're listening, finish what we started."

The spirits around me started counting down from 10. I struggled in the guard's arms, but to no avail. When the countdown hit 1, the guard released me. I climbed onto the stage as the guillotine's blade dropped, hitting Buraddorufu and drawing out his soul.

I dashed for the sphere and grabbed it, holding it to my chest as it tried to move. The spirits stood there in shock before they started booing. They screamed at me to let him go, finish the ritual. I stood silent, holding the soul with tears.

A guard came up to me. "Let go of the soul."

"No."

"Let go of the soul. It was his time."

"No it's not. I refuse to let him die for a mistake I made."

"Kid, you gotta let it go. I know how much he means to you, but you have to do it for his sake."

"No, he's not gonna die. Not on my watch."

I felt a blade press against my neck. "Let go of his soul."

I started yelling "No, I'm not letting him die! He was the one friend I could rely on to help my out. The one friend that knew me the most. He was like a brother to me (What's happening with your hands?), and I'm not letting him die because he was protecting me from myself!!!"

As Fang said his last word, he felt something resonate inside of him. His body floated into the air as Buraddorufu's soul spun around Fang. He grew more limp as a body was formed beside him out of Buraddorufu's soul. A brightness formed around the duo with other spirits turning away. Only a few spirits managed to watch. As the 2 dropped to the ground, both conscious, a murmur rose within the crowd.

As I gasped for air, I opened my eyes and looked up. I saw a figure right in front of me, gasping for air as well. His sweater, shirt and pants were all stained either with blood, or with water, as the ground around us was a bit wet. As more details were made visible to me, I jumped up and hugged him. Although shocked for a bit, he hugged me back and we both started crying. The crowd slowly started to cheer as I was reunited with my spirit.