We Need to Talk

I got a good look at my surroundings and knew instantly where we were.

"It's been a while since we've been here."

"Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't gone downhill. Think the boss got over losing his 'powers' to a couple of teenagers?"

"I don't even know if-"

"Hey, you two!"

We look over to our left and see what looks to be a child. The spirit looked to be a slime. Definitely a first, but I'm not complaining.

"I believe you have something of mine."

"I'm sorry, but we don't know who you are."

"Sonuva- I'm the owner of this amusement park."

"Huh, so kids can start businesses. Anyway, we don't have it."

"Bullshit (Watch your language), I saw you guys take it, you must have it."

"We don't the medallions disappeared after we finished curing Axo of his curse."

"You really think I'm gonna take that? What makes you think you have the right to take my powers away from me?!"

"We didn't take your powers, dude. Have you ever heard of a rune?!"

The slime pauses for a second. "What's a rune?"

I show him my hand. "This is specifically a blood rune. I've altered the original so that, if I need to, I can make something out of it." I activate the rune and make my scythe. "Once you learn how to use your respective rune, you can use the magic it contains. There are even some runes that anyone can learn, no matter the material."

"I'm still not following."

Buraddorufu took over. "Runes are a gateway to magical abilities one can only dream of. These abilities are all centered around different materials or elements, which is known as someone's essence. In this case, Fang's and my essence is blood. It's different for everyone, but it all depends on background. At least, for spirits like you and I."

"Okay, I understand that."

"Each essence has a base rune." He pulled out a paper from my pocket. "This is the base rune for blood magic. If you alter it, you can make it do different things." He flipped it and showed the similar looking rune one the back. "Alternating this line here makes it into a blood forge rune, which allows you to make things out of blood, like that scythe."

"So then what's my base rune?"

"That you have to find for yourself. Best place to look is the internet. Keep your essence in mind, which is most likely fire. Once you learn the base rune, you can start to experiment with it and see what you can do. Just be careful not to burn anything of value down."

"Huh, I guess something did come out of this interaction. Alright, you may carry on."

The kid finally walked off and Bura and I let out a sigh of relief. We started talking when he got out of earshot.

"Thank god, I thought he would never leave."

"Honestly, same. I'm glad he's finally gone."

"How did he not know about runes? It honestly seems like everyone learned how to use them."

"Yeah, it's literally part of basic life. That's quite literally what they're supposed to teach in school- you don't really get a choice! How does he not know what a rune is?"