Getting Settled

Despite being a big group, we still managed to crowd around a corner as the being, who's name is Xelovoir (Zel-ov-war), walked into the throne room. The throne seemed to be made of a pure gold and everything else seemed to be a form of steel. Nothing else other than the throne stood out. Except, of course, the lion in the center.

"Ah, you've returned. So, I assume the mission was a success?"

"Kind of. I mean, I didn't capture them-"

"You WHAT?!"

"Let me finish! I didn't capture them in the way you'd expect or want me to."

"Then how did you get them?"

"Recruitment."

"... so you're telling me that you brought them into the palace and are making them stronger?"

"Trust me, there is a valid explanation for all of this."

"There better be, otherwise-"

"I know, I know. Anyway, we have a different issue on our hands in the form of a dephantomed spirit."

"You're telling me a spirit came back from the dead?!"

"I know how hard that sounds to believe, but it's Tara, so ..."

"Okay, that's weird. I saw you phantom her. I've heard enough. You know what happens now."

Without hesitation, I jump into the throne room in front of literally every single guard there. "Don't, he's speaking the truth!" I had spears all around my head after I spoke. No one moved, but I could tell Buraddorufu was being held back by the others.

"How long have you been listening to this conversation, kid?"

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that he's correct with everything. The principle at my school has Tara as his spirit. He's taken over the entirety of the school and seems to plan to take over the entire world!"

"What in fuck's name makes you think I will just believe you?"

"Because we have an unconscious spirit that just had a spirit exorcised out of him!"

"Bullshit! There are no spirits that are possessed by demons."

"Axo, the axolotl."

"He's not possessed by a demon."

"What rune do you use to summon him then?"

"The water-wheel rune."

"Wrong, the demon scythe rune. Show him Axle!"

A couple milliseconds passed before seeing a purple scythe fly through the air, hitting the wall behind the throne. The lion stood in shock.

"See, that's the person Axo chose. How else would he have learned a demon's rune?"

"How the- okay, maybe Axo was possessed, but that doesn't explain Tara!"

"Then how am I supposed to prove it, should I give you the name of the principle and you reverse engineer it or something?"

"Yes, actually. I've kept track of every single spirit and the human they chose, so inputting either the human or the spirit will give me their pairing."

"Well fuck, I don't actually-"

Onyx came out and chimed in. "Andrew Holt, age 25, married with 2 kids."

I turned around to face Onyx. "How do you know-"

"Do not ask."

The lion typed the name into what looked to be a tablet on a selfie stick and read what seemed to be the results. "Andrew Holt, age 25, married with 2 kids, and his spirit is ... Tara?!" He typed a bit more. "But if I look up Tara herself, she's been phantomed?" He typed even more. "And when I click on the name on this thing it pulls up the data of the same person, but she's alive. This is so weird."