Prologue

France, Paris (1452):

The once bright sky was now dark and gloomy, the cold winter air howled through, the streets were wet and cold with snow which had fallen the day before, which mixed with the mud and filth, making it turn to a sludge, frost had started to form on the buildings, most people around this time would usually be asleep, but unfortunately for one little girl she was running through the streets of Paris, fear shuck through the little girls body as she did not stop running, in the distance she could hear the screams of her family and the sound of metal hitting the cobbled streets, she knew that Judge Frollo was chasing her down which made her anxiety shoot through her body, which made her little feet run as quick as they could.

Because she had never been into the city before she had no idea where she was going, she had no one to go to, nor she did know where to find shelter, but fortantely for her she was a massive building up in front of her which stood proudly in the middle of the city, looking at the architecture, she realised she was standing next to the 'Notra Dame' which at first glance scared the little girl, but then she remembered her mother words "go and find shelter at the Notra Dame, when you arrive knock on the door and shout Sanctuary" as her mother's words screamed in her head she ran to the huge, brown oak door, with all of her might she slammed her little fists on the door and screamed to the top of her lungs "Sanctuary!! Please me give me sanctuary!!" in that moment she felt lighthead and became unconscious.

An few hours later and the little girl had woken up, her eyelids felt heavy to her but she thought back the heaviness and managed to open them, the first thing she saw was huge wooden beams, there were hundreds holding the structure together, she even saw the most beautiful and massive tower bells she had ever seen in her life, as she sat up right she pulled the covers off her, the bed was just an blanket on the floor and another blanket which covered her body and an over used pillow, she looked around and saw a table, which had an wooden replica of the the Notra Dame and the town, as she drew closer she saw wooden characters which resembled the townsfolk, a cheesy smiled formed on her face, that is until she heard the creaking of the wood and the sound of footsteps behind her.

The little girl whipped her head around, she saw something hiding in the shadows, she smiled sweetly and said to the shadows "I know you are there, please don't be afraid" she heard a young man's voice "I am not afraid" even though he said he wasn't afraid, something in the tone of his voice didn't sound right to her, she then answered him back "then come out of the shadows and face me" the little man's voice said "then you will be afraid" he said with fright in his voice, but the little girl was determined to see her saviour "no I won't, I promise" she said with kindness, she waited a few seconds, just as she was about to walk up to him, the little boy walked out of the shadows, the little girl gasped as she saw her saviour, he had thin red hair, which draped over his left eye, his right eye had a lump above it, he had a hunched back, he wore a green shirt with brown pants and dark green shoes, he then introduced himself to the little girl, even though he was nervous "I... I am Quasimodo."

The little girl smiled sweetly to Quasimodo, her fiery red hair was up in a ponytail, she wore a tattered mustard coloured dress which hung over her elbows and wore black shoes "I am Anya, it's a pleasure to meet you, thank you very much for saving me from the cold" she said as she walked up to him "well I couldn't leave you out alone in the cold, especially since you claimed sanctuary" Quasimodo said to her, Anya couldn't help but hug him, Quasimodo was in shock, for he had never been touched by anyone before, he stiffened up for the first few seconds, but started to soften his muscles, both hugged each other for a few seconds before they let go off each other "how can I ever repay you?" Anya said to Quasi, she wanted to make up for him saving her, but neither of them knew how "well I don't know many people..." he said half embarrassed "how about I become your best friend?" she said with a smile "I would like that" he said with a smile, and after that day the pair became the best of friends.