Walking

A/N: So I apologize for how long it took me to update, I haven't been able to write lately because I've been so tired and I barely come home at all anymore so when I am home I sleep a lot. Anyway here's the chapter it's a shorter one but it's here :) Enjoy!

We finally stop walking after what feels like forever to wash up a little and allow the horses to drink. Two nights ago Brienne had led us out of Renly’s tent, got our horses, and then we took off. We had only stopped to give the horses rests as they needed it as well as ourselves twice to take little naps, as we headed for Robb’s camp.

“I’m telling you it looked like Stannis.”

“To me it just looked like… a shadow in the shape of a man.”

“In the shape of Stannis,” Brienne insists.

“I saw it in a dream closely and whatever it was wasn’t human,” I say shuddering. Catelyn turns away from us heading towards her horse.

“We should reach my sons camp tomorrow.”

“Will you stay there long my lady?”

“Only long enough to tell Robb what I have seen. And then I have to get back to Winterfell. My two youngest need me.”

“What about you?”

I shrug, “I don’t know yet,” I let their conversation fade away about giving birth something I didn’t want to speak of and brushed out Silver talking to her quietly.

“Renly’s death was no fault of yours,” Catelyn’s voice sharp cuts through and I look to them, seeing Catelyn sitting down while Brienne stands over her. “You served him bravely.”

“I only held him that once,” she says and it hits me how much Brienne had cared for him.

Catelyn stands and approaches her, “he’s gone Brienne. You serve nothing and no one by following him. Renly’s enemies are Robb’s enemies as well,” I approach them now.

“I do not know your son My Lady but I could serve you. If you would have me,” Brienne says the power in her voice yet sounding meek at the same time. “You have courage,” and she continues on and as I look at Catelyn I see what Brienne means. Catelyn has the courage it takes to protect her children, something Brienne and I didn’t understand fully the bond between a mother and a child. “Promise me that you will not hold me back, from Stannis,” she says and Catelyn looks on with determination and starts speaking.

“When the time comes I will not hold you back,” I remain still and silent realizing that something serious is now going on. Brienne draws her sword and I jump a little not expecting it in the peaceful setting. She bows down in front of Catelyn.

“Then I am yours My Lady. I will shield your back, and my life for yours if it comes to that. I swear it by the Old Gods and the New.”

Catelyn takes Briennes hand, and I realize that Brienne has changed from following Renly to following Catelyn another woman. “I vow that you shall always have a place in my home and at my table and that I shall ask for no service of you that will bring you dishonor. I swear it by the Old Gods and the New.”

The peaceful moment had passed and we were walking once again Brienne in the lead heading in the direction Catelyn had directed her in. We were relaxed but not entirely in case of an attack. “So, Brienne is yours now.”

“I don’t own her,” Catelyn says.

“That’s what it sounded like.”

“Well I don’t. She must do as I tell her to do now, but she will also in return protect me as needed. She would have done that anyway, this is the sort of life she chose. This is the sort of life that Bran wanted for himself.”

“He still dreams of it.”
“He’s young and old dreams die hard in a young boys mind. But it’s unrealistic. He will never be a knight.”

“Don’t be so quick to think that Catelyn. Bran can ride a horse now, with the right saddle and the right horse. Tyrion came up with it, he stopped at Winterfell with the designs before you took him hostage.”

“You understand why I did what I did. I thought he had tried to murder two members of my family.”

“And now you think Jaime did it?”

“I know he tried to kill Ned.”

“I saw, but he didn’t try to kill Bran and I he saved us if anything. I don’t know what happened with Ned, but he did fight with him, and he killed Jory.”

“Which is why we have him, but I need the girls back. I would much rather have the girls with me and alive than having the man who attempted to murder my husband,” she gets quiet for a moment. “Have you found her yet?”

“No, I haven’t seen anything.”

“What about Sansa, anything about her?” I shake my head no.

“I haven’t been trying to see Sansa though, so I’ll try for both of them. Maybe I’ll get something. Sansa is safe, they wouldn’t kill her, not when we have a Lannister but they won’t give her back unless we trade them. And Arya is smart and feisty I’m sure she’s fine.”

“Thank you.”

“For?”

“Making me feel better even if it isn’t true,” she moves past me to walk closer to Brienne and I sigh leading both our horses along.