CHAPTER 5

I turned to my left and pushed my feet into the ground and ran as hard as my feet allowed. As the agents reached to grab me, I smacked their arms out of my way and barged into a few shoulders. Then I continued at full speed.

Wind smashed into my face and made it numb with coldness. It whipped through my hair, sending strands in all directions behind me. My dress was billowing aggressively, and my shoes thudded against the hard concrete.

A crossing stopped me in my tracks, but I quickly observed, turning my head left and right before making a run. A few cars jolted to a stop and honked their horns at me, sending loud warning signs throughout the area.

Once I had fully crossed the road, I made a quick turn to check the progress of the agents. They had reached the crossing, which indicated I had enough time to find somewhere to hide.

Once I had pushed past a few crowds and dodged some bikes and people, I found a narrow alleyway that led into darkness. I made a sharp turn and didn't waste a second to look around. I continued running until I was confident that the darkness had swallowed me.

I lent against the damp brick of the building to catch my breath. My heart was pounding and my breath came out in loud puffs. Once I had maintained and normalised the puffing, I leant my head against the brick, attempting to quieten the still present puffs.

I peeled my back from the support and lightly stepped backwards, keeping my eyes on the road that I could still see. A rough hand covered my mouth in a snap. An arm wrapped itself around my waist, pinning my arms. My eyes had widened and I feared the agents captured me.

A deep voice was close to my ear, the persons breath warm on my cheek. 'Calm down little girl. Make a noise and we'll kill you.'

As if that had been a cue, a knife was pressed against my throat. How these people could see and know what they were doing was questionable. I wasn't surrendering though.

I pushed away the arm that held my waist. I grabbed the wrist that held the knife, while trying to identify which side the arm came from. I spun my body out of the mouth cover and stepped backwards.

I heard cars drift to a sudden stop behind me, doors slamming and footsteps quickly approaching. A beam of light lit the area, showing me three scruffy men. They were not the agents I suspected them to be.

I turned on my heels, blinded by the torchlight. I ran straight for it, barging into a heavy agent. They stumbled a little but managed go regain balance and grab a hold of my biceps. The light source that another agent clearly held continuously moved about.

I wrenched my arms free, kicking the agent in his chest and sending him to the ground. As I turned to prepare for another attack, something heavy hit my chest and quickly sent me to the back wall of the alleyway, breaking many bricks and grazing me harshly. I hit the ground with a thud, landing on my hands and knees. My head spun a little but I fought it and brought my knee up, placing my hand on it and pushing off for a boost.

A sharp stab in my neck arrived, followed by the world spinning. My body went limp and I was forced to black out as the ground was approaching quickly.

____________ ___________

My eyes slowly opened, feeling a sense of sleepiness and weakness. My head was hanging, so I lifted it to observe my surroundings, flicking my hair from my face to visualise.