CHAPTER 14

I pushed myself from the ground, ignoring the agonising pain throughout my body. As I stood, my legs wabbled beneath me, but I balanced by holding my arms out. I looked to my bike, seeing its battered state. I wasn't sure whether I could ride it, but I grabbed the bent handlebars and lifted it from the ground. I attempted to wheel it along the ground, but the rims where too bent to obey with a straight line.

I gave up and dropped the bike in its place, the bell chiming as it hit the ground. I lifted the skirts of my dress and ran. It was painful and weak, but running seemed like my only escape.

I reached the edge of the highway, holding my hand out for a cab. Once I was able to wave a cab down, they pulled over and I quickly hopped in. I aggressively shut the door.

The driver looked in his rearview mirror. 'Where would you like to go?'

I sniffled. 'Just drive.'

The driver obeyed and began driving. I had no idea where we were and I didn't quite care, as long as I was out of sight. I took a moment to observe the driver. He had an Italian accent, so I assumed he was Italian. His skin was lightly tanned with a short, neatened beard. He seemed a trustworthy gentleman. His eyes giving off a sense of kindness. However, those qualities weren't of any interest to me anymore. I had out my trust in those I thought worthy of it, but now, I didn't know who I could trust.

I whipped my damp cheeks. 'I'll get you to take me to my home.'

I gave him the directions, not the location. I didn't want to reveal it, especially after the attack that just happened.

After about 20 minutes, I got him to drop me off at the outskirts of New York. It was a small town and I knew where I was, so I could just walk the remaining distance. It would take me a while but it was better than revealing my home location.

As I stepped out of the car, the driver called out to me. 'Hey! Are you going to pay?'

I ignored him. I didn't have any money, nor did I care to pay. I shut the door and turned to walk away.

The driver got out of his car and stood looking at me. 'What are you doing? You have to pay.'

My feet started to pick up the pace. I had gained enough energy and strength in the car to now run. I started to push harder into the ground, taking me further away from the cab. He got in his car and seemed to shrug it off.

I guess he had seen my condition and urgency to get away that he had enough decency to let me go. I was both thankful and guilty of that, but I didn't care. I needed to get away. I had stopped running and turned off the street and onto a log dirt road that seemed to go nowhere. Tall dry grass and dotted trees was the scenery on both sides. It was drab and almost lifeless. No cars were in sight as it was a deserted area.

It took me around 30 minutes before I reached my next turn. I turned to the left and continued down another dirt road. After a further 20 minutes, trees appeared in the distance. I knew it would take me a while to get to them.

The walk was long, as I knew, but it was worth the hideout of a property that we had. After a long half hour, the scenery was changing into woods. More trees that gave more greenery and life to the area were at my sides now.

It took me around 10 minutes before I was deep in the woods and the road curved to the left. The dirt road curved again to the right, which meant the straight driveway was just ahead. I walked the turn and began the minute long journey to the house.

I finally ended the walk and now stood in the front lawn, looking at the house. I knew Shelly and James would be up by now with it being past midday. They would have read my note and thought I was an idiot. I could agree with them, but what would they think if they saw the state I was in? They probably didn't need to know what happened, providing I was recorded and they probably saw a snippet of it on the news.