CHAPTER 4

I returned to the apartment to find Shelly absent. She must have gone to hang out with some friends. She usually didn't tell me about that until she came home. I didn't have a problem with it though.

I made my way to the bathroom and stood in front the mirror. Staring at me was a girl. She had tanned skin that seemed to glow. Her light brown eyes were almost a golden colour. Her blonde hair hung messily about her neck and beyond her shoulder blades. Without the makeup that she had woken up with in the beginning, she still looked beautiful. Her skin radiated gold, but not as brightly, and her eyebrows and eyelids did not have a gold shadow plastered onto them. The patterns that were stuck to her face were no longer present and her lashes weren't painted. She was natural and free of makeup in front of me.

What people stared at me for was questionable. Maybe I just glowed and stood out above the humans. I wasn't that much different to them was I?

I became rather bored after examining my reflection for a while, so I decided to visit James. I wanted to help him and make him feel loved and cared for.

After grabbing some food and sleeping materials, I made my way out of the apartment. While I remembered and followed my route from earlier that day, I ignored the stares I was given.

The pillow I carried under my arm was a spare one, and I was sure Shelly wouldn't mind that it was being put to good use. I would buy another one once I gain myself a job and some money. The food I had taken would surely be replaced at some point, and the blankets, well, there was plenty.

Once I reached the alleyway and made the two corners, I found the little boy crouched weakly in the corner. He looked tired and hungry. I wouldn't blame him, he had no one to lean upon for food, water, and shelter.

I smiled and approached him carefully. James flinched but once he recognised me, he gave a small smile.

I sat beside him, placing the goods at me side. James was curious as he tried to peak at what I had brought him.

I unzipped the cooler bag that contained the food and pulled out a packet of crackers to hand to James. He quickly snatched them from my hands and ripped them open. He continuously shoved three crackers in his mouth at once, devouring half the packet. I giggled and grabbed a bottle of water for him to wash the dry food down. He gladly took that as well, sculling half the bottle, followed by a large gasp of air once he finished. He gave his brightest smile and brought tears to my eyes.

He swung his arms around me, thanking me in the best way possible. I returned it, feeling the thin body covered in a layer of filth. I wanted him to have a chance in life. I wanted him to live in better conditions. He needed it. I wanted it for him. My heart yearned for this young child to be a bright star in everyone's lives.

I was left with a great idea.

I peeled James away from me and lifted his chin to meet my eyes. 'James, what I have here for you is some food, water, a pillow, and some blankets. I want you to have it, how does that sound for you?'

James nodded and smiled from ear to ear. 'Thank you. I would like that.'

I slid the bags of food and blankets to James, passing him the pillow. He looked further into the bag of food and his eyes lit up with excitement and need.

I turned James with his shoulder to face me again. 'What'd'ya say I take you to my home instead?'

James hugged me tightly, sending me off balance and to the ground. 'Even better.'

After gathering the bags of food and blankets, I let James carry the pillow. Since he was small and light enough, I decided to carry him on my hip like a child. My strength made James feel like I was carry a pillow.