Chapter Twenty Four

Returning to the others for the recording session, a little while later, it was a more subdued Ellie, who couldn't even bring herself to look in Donnie's direction. If he had said anything to Joe and the others, they were very good at acting like they didn't know anything, much to her relief. Instead they all seemed focused on finishing the song, and finally getting it recorded, which Ellie was just too happy to go along with.

After all that had happened, she found she needed a distraction from what was going on in her personal life right now, because whatever it was that was going on between her and Brett, it still seemed too surreal to be true, and she was still racking her brain trying to figure out how they could go on from here. At least with focusing on the album, she knew what was expected of her, and she could deliver on it.

She was even more determined now to do it to prove to herself that she could separate her personal life from that of her professional one, because if she couldn't, she wasn't sure how she was going to function properly. The proof of that had been earlier, when Brett first mentioned his lyrics, and she had been so mad at him, she couldn't concentrate properly.

She consoled herself that at least she was no longer angry at him, just a little dazed at how things had turned out between them. Feeling a little foolish that she had tried to deny her feelings for him, and pretend nothing had changed between them, after the first time they kissed.

It seemed the only person she had been fooling had been herself.

So when they started to record the song again, when Brett sang the words near the end, about the kiss that changed everything, he couldn't help looking in her direction. This time though, she didn't react badly, as she realised the words of the song had taken on a whole new significance after her confrontation with him, that was kind of thrilling and scary all at the same time.

Still, she felt her face heat up with this new awareness, and she had to lower her head, so she could focus on her fingers moving over the strings of her guitar, to make sure she got it right, so he never noticed the coy little smile on her lips as she did so.

Everyone was filled with satisfied relief when they finally nailed recording the song before the end of the day, especially Ellie. Now with that out of the way. she knew she would have to deal with all the other stuff.

Before they had returned to the others earlier, Ellie had told Brett that she preferred it if they kept what was happening between them as private as possible for now, as she was still trying to process it. Realising that this would mean not telling her father Jake, Brett found he was happy to go along with her on this.

So now, with the recording session over, Ellie and Brett pulled Joe and Donnie aside, so they could talk to them in private, and explain that they would prefer if they did not spread it too much about the new turn in their relationship just yet,

Ellie looked suitably awkward as she did so.

"I mean there is no point in making a big public announcement about whatever this thing that is, that going on between me and Brett, after all, it could be all over by next week, and we would look stupid if we made a big deal out of it" she then pointed out with a slight dismissive shrug, realising that she couldn't even bring herself to say relationship, because she still was not sure what was going on between them. Thankfully, Brett didn't seem really bothered or object about this reference, so he obviously didn't consider it that serious either.

"We understand," Joe grinned, "We won't say anything, don't worry, well that is except to say that you owe me fifty quid" he now turned to Donnie holding out his hand expectedly

"Dammit!" Donnie now exclaimed in realisation, with a small frown of irritation, "could you guys not have held out for another while, and I could have won the bet"