Chapter 9

Oikawa headed off in the direction of his home mulling over everything that had just happened. It felt like the sun had set not into oblivion but into his belly instead.

Why did you take four days to text me back?

Hinata's words buzzed through him like a dose of fine nicotine. He knew Hinata wasn't like him; Oikawa could fool most people on most days but chibi-chan wore his heart on his sleeve with no control. The shrimp didn't work on a level of games and ulterior motives - 'what you see is what you get' was who the spiker was. So everything Hinata had just said had come from a pure heart with no strings attached.

Not to mention the little crow had no idea how Oikawa had felt since their grand goodbye. Hinata didn't know that the rest of that Sunday, Oikawa's home felt more barren than a graveyard. He didn't know the loneliness that had been injected into Oikawa from his absence. And he never would have imagined that on that Sunday night, in the dark, on those same sheets, Oikawa had lain, face down, dick out, moving to the leftover fragrance of Hinata...

Oikawa had been truthful. Just not upfront. The weekend with Hinata had him so riled up despite his self-gratification that he'd used the back of his fingers to text his usual options. Even with his mother over, on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night he'd met three different girls. He'd told his mom he was seeing friends but she wasn't born yesterday. Tuesday was Yui and ended in an argumentative mess at hers as usual. Thursday he'd rescheduled the date from the girl he was meant to have met at the cafe; she gave him nothing so it was back to his usual bet of Misaki on Saturday night.

The problem?

On Saturday night Oikawa had laid on his back in Misaki's bed with her curled under his right armpit. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and now Saturday. Every day. Oikawa had not stopped thinking about Hinata. He couldn't. And now it had crept in even when he was having sex, the feel of these fantastic feminine bodies fulfilled his lust but not much else. Yui. Misaki. He felt nothing. And in those moments, he recalled the care from Hinata's hands, his trembling body, receiving lips...

There was no way Hinata had any idea that it had taken Oikawa every bit of strength to wait those four days, Sunday to Thursday, before texting him back.

Oikawa had known from the moment the crow had flown that he had to forget about Hinata. Sure he would teach the bird how to serve. That innocent creature had saved his life from being wrecked and tended to his injured hands. Plus he'd made a promise. And the temptations and pain that would go hand in hand with that he would bear. But he could not expect anything more from the spiker. He was the one who owed Hinata but Hinata owed him nothing. They had been thrown together - Hinata had saved his life - he'd tried his best to take care of the darling - and that was the end of that. The middle blocker would go back to usual life at Karasuno with no more feelings for Oikawa other than gratitude.

Or so Oikawa had thought.

Why did you take four days to text me back?

Those weren't words from gratitude. No. Quite the opposite. They were words from expectation.

Will you text me and call me?

I spent all of last week worried.

I care how you are.

I wanted to see you too.

Oikawa had tried so hard. Lying in bed with Misaki at one in the morning last Saturday night, he'd texted Hinata and congratulated himself for not texting the underclassman more. He was not going to get his hopes up in a Hinata-text-a-thon when the little Karasuno member was just being grateful and friendly.