Chapter 26

What Hinata did not know was that in the next two days, Oikawa waited for the axe. In their non-stop texts, voice notes, emojis, memes, phone calls, on the way to school, during break, after school, at night, Oikawa waited for news regarding some form of interrogation on the middle blocker but it never came. Oikawa did not know what Suga had done with the information but knew that one day, it would come out.

Another thing Hinata did not know: Oikawa's team were quieter in the days that followed after their illicit relationship had come out; some of them avoided Oikawa's gaze altogether and Oikawa could tell, particularly amongst the first and second years, they shared an unspoken mutiny in regards to respect. Oikawa had lost the respect of the juniors in his team. Not because of his ability as a volleyball player but because of the choices in his personal life. So this is what it must feel like to be a politician, Oikawa had smirked to himself and it just about covered the slashes across his heart.

The other third years bar Iwaizumi still worked tirelessly night and day trying to convince Oikawa to break it off. Lunchtimes, home times after practice, phone calls when they could get through to Oikawa and he wasn't on the phone to Hinata, they begged Oikawa to obsess over someone else. Oikawa had explained it all: the earthquake, the blackout, and how absolutely wonderful Hinata was as a person - but all he was met with was appalled silence.

Oikawa did not know what would gain his team's approval and although he would fight tooth and nail to stay with Hinata, and proclaimed that he did not care what his team thought, and this was true, a part of him could not help but wish that the two things he adored the most - Hinata and his team - could somehow be reconciled.

Another thing Oikawa did not know: from Wednesday evening until Friday, Kageyama had tried to walk home with Hinata every day but the spiker had cycled off, making some excuse about his sister's flute competition coming up and how he needed to go home super quick so she could play to him.

This made Kageyama upset but also relieved: if Hinata was not allowed to see anyone after school anymore that meant that Hinata was cycling straight home and wasn't seeing Oikawa. When Kageyama suggested meeting for the weekend, Hinata deflected that too saying he already had plans, a sleepover with some other friends, and named a couple of people from his class.

Obstacles? What were obstacles to Tobio Kageyama? Very soon the summer holidays would be here, and they had summer camp and practice so Hinata would have to see him every day. Kageyama would treat Hinata better, would show his spiker that he cared more and more, he would beat Oikawa and win back Hinata's heart for himself.

But what Kageyama didn't know - the more Hinata engaged with Oikawa, the more it was like the middle blocker was walking deeper into a luscious, green, magical forest that Hinata never wanted to leave. The more enchanted Hinata became, the more in awe, the more hypnotised.

On Friday Hinata blasted everyone at school he encountered with smiles and warm greetings. He was a fizzy, popping, jumpy, nervous ball of energy: tonight he would be staying overnight at Oikawa's. He had not stayed over at Oikawa's since the earthquake. Hinata had never had alcohol but surely this was what it felt like - warm and fuzzy and giddying. He could barely contain himself. He couldn't stop thinking it, he was dying to say it though of course he wouldn't - but some bizarre part of him wanted to stand on the school roof and shout, 'I'M DATING OIKAWA!!!!' for the whole world to hear.

Why was time so slow? Why was the weekend only two days?

After school, Hinata fought himself to not look at the clock during practice and be present. And when practice had barely finished, Hinata grabbed his bags, shouted goodbye and ran.