Chapter 17 - Seijoh vs Karasuno pt. 2

Daichi turned -

His eyes met Asahi's before they found Suga's. Both looked as disturbed as he felt. Daichi felt a blister of anger more towards himself than at anyone else. What the hell has been going on? And right now, they were in the middle of a practice match and Hinata was acting like a soldier in the Trojan war. All eyes were on number 10, shaking with rage.

Daichi stepped forward and gently placed a hand on the ginger's shoulder.

'Hinata,' he said softly.

Iwaizumi stared, confused at first but then his own response center kicked in -

He took a step forward but an arm blocked his path.

Oikawa.

The setter had his back to Seijoh's ace.

'Let me handle this,' the captain said.

All the while, number 1 had his eyes on Hinata, an unreadable expression on his face. No smirk, no smile, he hadn't shrugged it off either. And considering the strange interactions between the setter and Karasuno's number 9 and 10 earlier on well... Iwaizumi was certain.

'Did number 10 just yell at Iwa?'

'Why does he look so angry?'

'Iwa called Oikawa a nickname.'

'Is that it? Funny.'

'I didn't realise Karasuno had a fan, Oikawa.'

Seijoh laughed while Daichi tried to calm a riotous Hinata, who still hadn't taken his gaze off the ace. But Iwaizumi's attention was on Oikawa, who was quietly watching the spectacle in front of him with a passive expression, calculating the best thing to do next.

Well. They were going to find out sooner or later.

'As soon as this match is over, we need to have a talk,' Daichi hissed. 'But for now you need to focus purely on the game. Not on anything else. Lets play!' Daichi called, spurring the game on.

Kageyama was euphoric, flying, high like the wind beneath the wings of a thousand crows -

Now everyone will know. And they'll stop this. It means I haven't betrayed Hinata because Hinata betrayed himself. It ends now. It ends today. He'll come back to me. Kageyama peered at his spiker, who was glowering at Seijoh's ace. But... what Iwaizumi said... do you really care... that much?

'Tsukishima! Your serve!'

Suga watched as the game continued. As Kageyama kept flubbing his sets. As Hinata was so worked up he missed several times. Daichi and Asahi too were on edge and Nishinoya was still on top form but Suga could tell he had to fight to keep his mind on the ball and not on what everyone was wondering right now... Suga went over the facts again: Hinata and Oikawa at the fair yesterday. Oikawa had ruffled his hair. They kept looking at each other on the court especially when Hinata was about to serve. And when he did, Oikawa looked proud of him. Not only that but -

Kageyama.

Kageyama had tried to say something earlier this week about Hinata's serves improving.

So.

Suga felt like a fool for not seeing it sooner.

That's what's been going on. And this whole time. Kageyama knew...

He turned to look at coach who was watching the game like a hawk. Why hadn't he called them out yet? 7-2 to Seijoh. This was a disaster. It was only a practice match and yet... it felt like the finals.