34

~Flashback~

Everything stopped when Evan yelled in pain. I gasped as he knelt to the ground, loosening his grip on my arm. I pulled away and punched him in the nose as hard as could. He yelped in more pain as he held his nose and leg. There was an arrow in his leg.

"Get away from her." The deep voice said. I turned and saw Oliver standing with his bow ready to fire an arrow at Evan. He looked up at us, bouncing his eyes between me and Oliver.

"As I said, Aspen. I'm going to destroy you." He stated, pulling the arrow out of his leg while yelling in pain. He stood up and left with a green trail behind him. I turned and faced Oliver, who put his bow down.

He stared at me as the tears on my waterline built. He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off by collapsing in his arms. He held me and I suddenly felt weak. I was just in a crash and now everything was kicking in.

"You're safe now." He whispered to me as he placed his hand on the back of my head.

"Hardly." I sobbed quietly.

"Well, let's not stay here. Let me get you back so we can help you." 

He carried me to the table and laid me down. My body was aching and the adrenaline was over. They stared at me while Oliver told the story of Evan. Felicity threatened to kill him, but I had no time to indulge in this. I had to leave while he's still on the loose.

"Aspen, this is for you," Oliver said, holding out a phone to me. I sat up, groaning as I did. I grabbed the phone and placed it to my ear.

"Hello? Is this Aspen Brooks?" The man said into my ear.

"This is she."

"I'm Officer Freddy. There's been an accident with your mom." My eyes widened and filled with tears. My heart dropped to my stomach and I felt like throwing up. "She didn't make it. I'm sorry." I dropped the phone from my fingers and the tears fell down my cheeks.

"Aspen, what is it?" Oliver asked. I jumped down from the table, but he gripped my arms to keep me from leaving.

"She's dead. He killed her. He killed her." I sobbed. I stopped trying to fight him and my knees buckled. I fell onto the ground, Oliver squatting beside me in an embrace. She's gone. He killed her.

~Present Day~

I paced the cell until finally, it was brought forward. I stood close to the glass, expecting to see Barry. But I saw Joe instead. He looked disappointed. The door opened and I cautiously stepped out of the cell.

"Joe, I--"

"I would suggest you get out of here. Maybe we should talk later, but none of us want you here." He said. I licked my lips, feeling tears slip out of the corners of my eyes. I nodded, knowing he was right.

"I'm sorry," I admitted, walking away from him. I knew how wrong I was. I knew I had to get out of here. I raced out of S.T.A.R. Labs and drove as quickly as I could. I drove to Jitters. I walked past the busy line and went straight for the roof.

I messed up. I bowed my head and rested my arms on the cement wall. Then, I let the tears fall. I messed up. That's the reason I didn't want Barry falling in love with me. I knew I should've ended it as soon as this all happened.

But I was too selfish to let him go. I knew what I was doing and I knew what I was feeling was real. I was too selfish to lose the one person who has made an impact in my life for the better. And now look what I've done. I've hurt him.