28

We got back to S.T.A.R. Labs and saw everyone gathered around a computer where it showed a small tube a bee sat in. I took a closer look at it and noticed it wasn't like a bee at all. It was metal and robotic.

"Unbelievable," I spoke my mind after examining the screen. Barry's head turned toward me as I stood up straighter again. I crossed my arms and he flashed me a small smile as his arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"This bot has a full-range vision system. I mean, we're talking multiple micro-cameras all coming from various angles at the same time." Cisco explained the tiny bee's ability. 

"The bee can see all around the room at once," Ray stated as Cisco finished his speech. "That is amazing."

"No, that's disturbing," Caitlin said, making me smile over at her.

"It's also next-gen hardware which is nowhere near the market." Dr. Wells added, making my eyebrows pull together in suspicion. 

"So we're not dealing with a metahuman. But a mad scientist." I concluded, making people nod in agreement with me. 

"Cisco, you said Bill Carlisle was a robotics engineer right? Let's cross-reference his past employers with Lindsay Kang." Dr. Wells ordered and Cisco immediately started typing on his computer. I watched with awe as Cisco's fingers typed vigorously against the keyboard, making two profiles show up.

"Call Joe. I think it's time to visit an old friend." Dr. Wells said. Barry nodded and took out his phone and called Joe. He came back in and sighed, walking over to me as Dr. Wells rolled toward the elevator.

"Hey, I'll be back." He sighed, making me nod. He kissed my cheek and I could sense the stress written on him. It's been a long night, I understand his exhaustion and frustration. He removed his larger coat and handed it to me, making me question his motives.

"What is this for?" I asked, holding the cotton material in my hands.

"In case you go home." I smiled at him, adoring his care for me. He walked away and Dr. Wells, Joe, and he went to Mercury Labs to talk to Dr. Megee. 

"Hey, how come Barry's been acting weird?" Caitlin asked as I walked out to the Cortex. I shrugged and slipped the jacket onto my arms.

"I think he's just been stressed about this bee business," I answered. She looked very concerned. She wouldn't have asked me if she wasn't genuinely worried about Barry. Maybe I was wrong and she wasn't part of Dr. Wells's plan.

"How come Cisco and I weren't invited to dinner?" She had a small smile growing on her lips that were from embarrassment from asking that question. I gave her a small assuring smile and placed my hand on her arm.

"It was mainly for Eddie and Iris. They're going through some tough things." She smiled at me and nodded, pulling me into a much-needed hug from her. I hugged her back and rubbed her arm as she let go.

The next person to stop me was Felicity. She came by my side, crossing her arms and looking back at Ray and Cisco, who were walking toward the exit to work on Ray's suit. I placed my hands in Barry's coat pockets.

"So, Ray seems nice." I complimented, making her grin at me.

"Aspen Brooks, do you actually like my boyfriend?" She fake gasped, making me laugh.

"He seems like a very good man. I still would rather see you with Oliver..." She rolled her eyes and I smiled. "But seeing you happy is more important. Also, you have to remind me to call Oliver about the league of assassin's business."

"Oh, he will love that phone call." She sarcastically said, making the both of us laugh. "You and Barry seem to be very happy together. He's good for you, Aspen, whether you admit it or not." I looked down, trying to avoid the blood-rushing feeling of how visible my feelings are becoming because of Barry.