Chapter 24: Boardwalk Battlefield

Even though many of you will just skip over this part, I want to apologize for my lack of updates. I've been having a lot of boy troubles lately and they may have inspired me, but I'm back now and ready to continue the story of Lia and Hayes. Enjoy chapter 24!!❤️❤️

-brooklyn

The carnival ringing sound of the bell rang, "Yes I won!" Hayes said, jumping up and down as the employee of the booth handed Hayes a big plush teddy bear.

"Here Lia, this is for you" he said, turning around to meet my gaze. I looked up at him and smiled as I took the bear from his grasp, "thank you Hayes" I said as I stood on my tippy toes to plant a faint peck on his plump lips.

"Ewe, get a room you two!" Matt said, making fake gagging noises while Nash and Cameron played along as they covered their faces.

I broke away from Hayes and turned to face the three boys making fun of my lover and I, Hayes still holding on to my hips.

"Grow up you three." I laughed, playfully pushing Matt for his comments.

"Well I got to go, I have a hot date waiting for me!" Cameron winked.

Nash started chanting Cameron's date's name. Apparently her name is Lucy (Lucy Hale to be exact)

"I think Nash needs to find a date." Matt said, smirking.

"I think both of you need to find dates!" Hayes replied, causing us all to crack laughs.

Matt and Nash finally left us alone so it was only Hayes and I.

"I'm hungry, wanna go get some food?"

Hayes didn't say anything, he just smiled and nodded. He took my hand and we went to find a food cart.

"What can I get for you two today?" An middle aged woman asked from the window of a vendor.

"We will take one nachos and one slice of pizza please. And two drinks." Hayes ordered. Nachos, he knows me so well.

We took our food to the nearest table, which happened to be right next to the stage where people performed and such for the customers.

"So Hayes, how has your night been so far?" I said, taking a sip of my Coke.

He looked distracted, I don't think he heard what I said. I sat my coke down and starred at him. He was definitely focused on something. I decided to turn around to see what he was so focused on.

On stage there was a girl, she looked about our age. Dirty blonde hair, I couldn't see the color of her eyes. She was singing and playing guitar. I must admit, she was good. I turned back to Hayes to see the tiniest smile on his lips.

"Hayes?" I said eyeing his face.

"Uh.. what.. oh my night? Yeah my night was good." He blushed, shaking his head and focusing back to me. "How about you?", His eyes moving back and forth from me to the stage.

"My night has been amazing, but you seem kinda distracted." I said, taking a nibble from my nachos. He starred down to his food then looked back up at me.

"Could you excuse me for a bit, I have to go to the bathroom." he said fidgeting in his chair.

"Uh sure?" I replied, slightly confused but still smiled.

"Thanks" he said, letting out a gasp of air as if he had been holding his breath the whole time. He slid away from the table, stood up, looked at the stage then back at me. He shot me a light smile then walked away. Well, that was odd.

I turned around to catch a look at the stage. The girl was gone and now a guy that looks about 20 was singing a duet with a different girl that looks the same age as him.

I grew bored fairly quickly and took my phone from my purse. I replied to all my Instagram notifications and texted the people back who messaged me. I then began to scroll through Twitter. One specific post caught my attention. A Hayes Grier fan account posted it. It was a picture of Hayes and some girl swallowing each other's faces. I looked at the picture more closely, the girl sort of resembled the girl on stage earlier. I began to grow furious, I looked at how long ago the picture was posted. 5 minutes ago. Just after Hayes left to go to the bathroom.

Something tells me he didn't actually have to relieve himself, maybe his hormones, but definitely not his bladder. I locked my phone at slammed it down on the table.

"Hey Lia" a cheery voice said. I looked up and quickly blinked my glossy eyes.

"Hi Coll." I noticed Connor was with him and they were holding hands. Awe. But my focus quickly changed back to Hayes and the tweet.

"Lia, is there something wrong?" Connor said, pulling up a chair and sitting down, Collin sitting next to him.

I nodded my head and opened back up the posting. Collin took my phone and held it so Connor could see, too. Their eyes toggled back and forth between me and my phone.

"Lia...Im so sorry!" Collin said, handing back my phone.

"You're way better than that." Connor said as he placed his hand over mine, "you'll get through this." He smiled a reassuring smile.

"Thanks guys, but I need to fix this." I said getting up and grabbing my things. I walked to the trash can to throw my garbage away. I turned around to see Connor and Collin both starring and smiling at me. I returned the favor as my eyes traveled down to the ground. The teddy bear that Hayes had won for me was sitting beneath the table. I turned around and took a deep breath as I starred out onto the lightened up Boardwalk.

"Where are you Hayes?" I muttered to myself.