Chapter 29: Waves

••• LIA's POV •••

I could feel the boat rock. The wind was rushing through my hair and tiny little rain drops tickled my nose. A storm was coming, but yet everything felt calm as ever.
Do you know why? Because he was there standing by my side. He held me close to his chest and tucked the wild strands of hair behind my ears. He kissed my forehead as I looked up to him.

"I love you, Hayes."

"I love you too, Lia.", He said as he pulled me closer and squeezed me as tight as he possibly could.

We turned back around to catch a glimpse of the scenery.

There was wild waves and the raindrops had gotten bigger. There was dark grey clouds in the sky and the wind was picking up. The boat become even more unstable than it already was and I felt seasick.

I turned around to look at Hayes, who didn't seem bothered at all.

"What do we do?" I'm sure you could sense the terror in my voice.

"Absolutely nothing. Just sit here and watch."

What the hell?! We were caught in the mist of a storm and all you can say is "nothing"?!

"Hayes, do you realize that we are in danger right now?" I said, pacing back and forth

"Of course, and we can't stop it." He said, grabbing my shoulders to sit my still

All of a sudden a huge gust of wind sent our boat for a loop, causing me to practically fly off. The waves came crashing down, making the situation even worse than it already was.

"HAYES!" I screamed, trying not to let go of whatever I was gripped on to.

"LIA! HOLD ON, DONT LET GO!" I don't know what he said, I couldn't really hear from the rain pouring down on the deck and the trashing waves, but I think he was trying to help me.

"HAYES...." My fingers were slipping, I didn't know how much longer I could hold on.

"LIA, GRAB MY HAND!" I reached for it, but it was too late. As soon as I let the piece of wood I was clinging to, I was falling.

"LIA NO!" He yelled, as if my falling would stop. I tried, believe me, but this is how it was going to end.

"LIA...LIA NO..Lia..." his screaming faded. It calmed. All was silent.

Then I shot up from my dream. No. It was like a nightmare. I breathed heavily as my eyes jerked around my room.

"Lia? Are you alright?" Sammy sat on the edge of my bed, staring at me. He looked frightened.

"Yeah. Just a bad dream.", I said as I wiped the little beads of sweat off my forehead.

"Okay, well I just came in here to let you know that Collin is coming home today.", He said standing up and walking out the door.

Collin was coming home today?! Yeah, I know my brother and I left off on rough waters, but that didn't mean that I still didn't miss him like crazy. I just want things to go back like they were before we moved to North Carolina, but with mom and Sammy of course.

That's who I need right now. Mom. I need her comfort, her reassurance. I need her arms around me, telling me everything is going to be okay. That I'm going to be okay.

But things are picking up, slowly, day by day, are getting better.

I dragged my body out of bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for the day.

On my way there I made a pit stop to my closet and quickly threw together a outfit. Solid coral crop top with high waisted jean shorts from Runaway Dreams. Simple but presentable. I grabbed a bra with matching panties then I was off to my shower.

••••••••

"COLLIN!" I yelled, as I tackled my brother with giant hugs.

"Lia, I'm surprised you're happy to see me.." He said, not moving a muscle.

"Well of course I am, you're my other half!"

"Oh who am I kidding, I missed you so much!" He said, picking me up and spinning me around.

Finally he sat me back on my feet, even though we were both unsteady.

"Kids can you please come here?!" I heard my dad yell from the kitchen.

Sammy, Collin, and I all sat at our designated bar stools we had in the kitchen island. I propped my head in the palm of my hands and Sam folded is arms.

"What's up?" Collin asked with his wispy voice.

My dad sighed as he looked around the room.

The three of us kids exchanged glances as we silently waited for him to speak.

Then he finally said it, something I thought I wouldn't have to hear for a long time, maybe ever again.

"We are moving."