Chapter 9: Neighbors

"Lia?" A raspy, soft voice said.

"Hayes, what are you doing here?" I asked in confusion

He kind of chuckled, "I live over there", he pointed to a brick house, across from mine.

"What are you doing here?" Hayes questioned,

"My house is right here." I turned my torso around and pointed to my house.

"Ohh" he smiled, "so we are neighbors?", I added a slight giggle.

"Looks like it!" I smiled

There was an awkward pause.

"Do you maybe want to come swimming, and later have a bonfire?", I said, not making eye contact with him, "Talia, Paige, and Collin are there.."

I could sense he was smiling, which made me grin.

"Sure! Be over in 5?"

"Sounds good, walk around to the back, there's a gate, someone will let you in!" I smiled. I felt excitement run throughout my veins.

He turned around and ran to his house.

I went back to my pool, giving up on Collin, thinking he wouldn't ever catch me.

"Hey guys!" I greeted everyone.

They all looked up at me.

"You have been gone for like 15 minutes" Paige said, laying out her beach towel on the deck.

"Yeah Lia, tell us, where were you?" Tally added, while smirking, as if she knew where I was.

"I was just talking to our neighb-" I was cut off by the sight of shaggy dark brown hair and bright blue eyes, and nice abs show up behind the gate.

Tally looked in the same direction as I.

"OOOHH BUSTED!!" She said, waving her hands in the air.

Paige and Collin laughed, leaving me blushing.

"Weeell, let him in!" Tally went on, still smirking

I did as I told, greeting Hayes with a warm smile, he returning the favor.

Everyone, except for Tally, greeted Hayes like a normal human being.

"Heeyy Hayesie boii", oh goodness,"I'm watching you, so be careful" we all laughed, including Hayes.

••• HAYES' POV •••

I kind of felt awkward bursting into their little zest fest, but I wanted to get to know Lia even more.

But instead of going straight for her, I went to talk with Collin.

@@LATER AT THEIR BONFIRE@@

"Hey Collin", I said, grabbing a seat next to him.

"Hey Hayes", he said, gesturing for a fist bump.

"So, what's with you and Paige?", Fist-bumping him back.

"Uh you know, things are going good, I guess. It's hard to tell if she likes me or not", Collin talks with his hands a lot.

"Yeah, I get it"

"Oh really ,mmhm, so what's with you and my sister?" Oh jeez, this is awkward.

"Well, for one, she's such an amazing person to be around"

"Not in the mornings" Collin added, causing us both to crack up laughing

"Ok well, I don't really know how to describe it, I guess"

"Do you like her?" Collin asked, leaving me blushing

I looked up and saw her staring at me, the glowing embers turning her bluish- grey eyes to a beautiful emerald color, she quickly turned away, hoping I wouldn't notice.

But I did, her cuteness making me crack a smile.

I turned my focus back to Collin.

"I think I might"