Chapter 71 - Medical Tutoring

Together with Kuina I run laughing in the direction of my room. After we have spent a while at the pool, it was too warm for us in the blazing sun, so we each got a plate of freshly cut melon from the restaurant. In my hotel room I put my plate on the coffee table and disappear briefly in the bathroom to freshen up a bit. I quickly exchange my slightly sweaty bodysuit for a bikini and open the door again to continue talking to Kuina.

"These are new books, have you read through the old ones yet?", I hear her ask from the couch.

"Yeah, I got the new ones this morning. I just needed a little something to do," I reply, grabbing bandages from a drawer under the bathroom mirror. I fasten it over my shark bite wound and smooth it out. The wound doesn't burn as badly as it used to, but the scab tears at me every now and then. I splash water on my face, which is all dried out from the sun, and apply a little perfume.

In the main room, I put on my oversized red shirt, sit down next to Kuina on the couch, and grab a slice of watermelon. I watch as the woman next to me reads through the titles of the books and looks at me questioningly.

"What, these things might help me in the games someday," I defend myself.

"The medicine book and this history book I understand, but Spanish?" she laughs, tapping the small encyclopedia lightly on my nose.

"It can't hurt," I counter, putting the leftover bowl back on my plate. The fresh fruit feels good and is damn tasty. Some of the supply squads have told me that most of the fruit in the homes and stores has gone bad, and it's becoming increasingly rare to find fresh fruits and vegetables. Katsu told me this morning that they are already discussing planting some strawberry or tomato vines near the hotel. I can see out of the corner of my eye her grinning as she puts her straw back in her mouth and twirls it.

"So, tell me," she wiggles her eyebrows. I tilt my head and look at her questioningly. "Chishiya and you"

"I don't know what you mean," I say more out of reaction, grabbing a new slice of melon to have a reason to avoid her gaze. How can I be so stupid, she saw us together just yesterday at noon.

"So I just imagined you two sitting on your bed kissing yesterday".

"Maybe," I mumble, continuing to avoid her gaze as my cheeks begin to glow.

"I want to know everything"

"Then why don't you ask him" I shrug my shoulders but she just gives me her your-serious look "I probably know less than you"

"How many times have you two kissed? And have your tongues been involved? How far have you guys gone?"

"Kuina!"

She takes my leg and pulls me towards her to tickle the soles of my feet. I laugh out loud and try not to kick around myself so I don't accidentally hurt her. She pulls me towards her some more and fixes my hands before tickling me from top to bottom.

"Talk!"

"We've only kissed three times, though I don't think the one time counts," I say and she stops for a moment, making me catch my breath. Why lie to her or keep denying it?

"So who kissed who?"

I actually want to answer, but she doesn't seem to expect it of herself and starts tickling me again. She is careful not to get over my wound on my side as she does so, but it stings a little as I squirm under her.

"I was just going to tell you," I complain and she stops grinning, "Yesterday he me and before that I him."

"He really did..." she begins before slapping me jokingly. She laughs loudly and pinches my cheeks.