CHPT. 31 Those who fear him

悪魔自身を恐れる

悪魔自身を恐れる

.

Aether smiled as they arrived to Mondstadt, even humming softly as he and his companions entered the nation of freedom. Although, he was worried. Worried for the demon that had stayed eerily silent ever since they woke up.

He didn't receive the usual greetings. The small kisses Alastor planted on his forehead Everytime he woke up. He was just quiet, gently patting his head whilst he smiled crookedly at him.

"Do you know what's wrong with Al?" Paimon questioned, extremely worried for their companion. Having gone missing for a month, she feared that something had happened to Alastor to make him this way. But she couldn't assume so quickly, that's what she understood.

Aether shook his head, equally worries for the Demons well-being but there was a force stopping him from asking. Not one that could physically push him back, but one that made his thoughts wander away from the thought.

"I don't know... Maybe he's just happy to be back."

Aether assured her — but he knew that it was also to himself.

"Paimon, don't worry. Alastor may not tell us a lot of things, but we'll always be there for him. Just like how he's there for us. Don't forget that we'll figure this out together, I promise."

Paimon smiled softly, nodding as she zoomed towards the contract demon. Aether giggled once he saw Paimon grab on to Alastor's neck, hugging him tightly while the demon sighed with a hopeless smile.

The moment they set foot into the city of dandelions, Aether was startled to see several adventurers hoarding themselves in front of Katherine, while there were even more knights stationed by the gates. He was about to question someone about the commotion, until Alastor grabbed his wrist and dragged him away from the crowd.

"I think it'll be better if we question Jean."

"True. But still, it wasn't like this during the storm terror incident."

"Well, Let's just question the current dandelion knight. I have a bad feeling about this."

It didn't take long for the trio to storm into the Favonius Headquarters, and directed themselves to Jean's office. With the bang of the door, Jean jolted in surprise.

"S-Sorry."

Aether sheepishly apologized, noticing that it was not Jean inside the office. Lisa and Kaeya were searching through files, the office quite messy that it disturbed Aether.

"Well it seems like you're all in quite the mess. Care to tell us what is happening?"

Kaeya dropped the book he was holding once he heard the familiar voice. His head snapped towards the trio, his eyes going wide once he was met with the familiar demon he had summoned. His body trembled, stopping himself from just running towards Alastor.