CHPT. 38 From whence the demons come

"There's still no sign of him?"

Aether shook his head, frowning as Kaeya ran a hand through his hair. It had been days since the battle in dragonspine, and Gwyneira seemed to have perished. Ever since then, attacks from demons have diminished, seeming to fear for their lives. It has been good for the knights, but...

Alastor had gone missing.

Aether looked on the verge of a heart attack when they couldn't find the contract demon. It was the incident in Liyue all over again, and it had barely been two weeks since they got him back. He wasn't ready to loose him again.

He glanced towards Paimon, who had fallen asleep beside Klee. His little companion had been one of the most eager and determined in the search. Aether had caught her sneaking out a few nights, and he would silently follow her as she searched for their other companion.

"No. Venti and Xiao seems to have found some clues, but even so... It's not good enough to track him down." Aether murmured, clenching and unclenching his fists.

Venti had gone to Xiao for help, and it somehow angered Aether. Xiao was an adeptus, yes, but... His title was conqueror of demons. Was it a good idea to depend on someone like that to search for someone known as an archons infernal counterpart? Aether didn't know, but he simply knew that Xiao's presence may be the cause of Alastor's continued disappearance.

"Damnit... We just got him back." Kaeya whispered, a subtle tremor in his posture that caused Aether to flinch. From what he had briefly heard from Alastor, thw current generation of the three oldest clans had grew up with Alastor in their presence.

Although Aether had always thought Alastor secluded himself from humans, it seems his relationship to Mondstadt ran deeper than expected.

Aether and Kaeya separated, Aether having picked up Paimon and going back into their teapot. As his feet landed against the grass of the beach like abode, he huffed quietly. In his arms, Paimon whimpered, a nightmare perhaps. With each step he took into the manor he had built, he couldn't help but freeze every second.

It felt empty.

Just like how it was when Alastor had first gone missing. The melancholy was there, and Aether hesitated as he set Paimon down to the couch of the living room. Although he was the owner of the adeptal teapot, Alastor had been adamant on designing and decorating their home.

There was even a library, which Alastor had said was solely for Aether. He was a traveler from outside Teyvat after all, the demon had simply thought it necessary to add a library with several books he had accumulated over the centuries. Aether had felt... Absolutely joyous for that, and thus as Paimon slept, his feet took him towards the library.

There were four shelves of books in total, a couch by the side with a desk with four chairs. It was adequate for all three of them. Paimon had even snuck into the library once to read the fairy tale books Alastor had added to their little library. He considered it...