CHPT. 44 Letters from home, a friend to come

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping. It was a beautiful day to be outside… 

'Why the hell is it so hot here?' Alastor tugged at his collar, eye twitching as he glanced out the window of the hotel he was staying in. He could have leisurely stayed in his own domain, but he wasn't willing to spend an entire night with his counterpart.

Jekyll and Hyde were still Alastor, but the issue regarding the two was that they were different aspects of him. They were more like siblings stuck in a robot and only one of them could take control, thus they constantly fought for it. 

It had been an entire week since the death of Gwyneira and Alastor questioned whether he was getting… soft. He was well known for his ruthlessness yet he had run off to Liyue of all places to recuperate.

It was the most absurd thing you could tell him, had it been months before. 

He sighed, reading the letters Zhi You had sent him again. The dendro demon was now being used as some sort of messenger for his friends from Mondstadt, although she was quite enjoying the little vacation from Liyue. 

Dear Alastor,

You've left me alone again. I resent you so much for that, but I can understand why. Grief can do a lot of things to people. Sometimes it causes them to look at things in a different light. I hope you find what you are looking for or perhaps an answer to a question you want answered.

I'm exploring Mondstadt for a bit with Benny's adventure team. Bennett, Razor, and apparently Klee miss you a lot. Klee says your friends with her mom? That's new to me.

In a few days, I'll be going back to Liyue. I won't force you to follow me around, but I hope you join me again soon. Paimons wants your cooking back, by the way. 

No matter where you are, you're still my Alastor. Regardless of whether you are Jekyll or Hyde, you are still my dearest companion. Get well soon and come back to us like you always do. 

 Love, Aether.」

Alastor smiled at the letter. Paimons had sent one as well, but Paimon's was filled with several drawings that she and Klee made instead of words. He had laughed when he saw one drawing where Paimon and him were cooking a hilichurl while Aether was knocked out. 

He picked up another letter, one with a dark blue seal. 

The abyss has been more active lately. Mages and some Heralds were sighted in Mondstadt after Gwyneira died. I heard that they may be doing something in Liyue.

Be careful. Don't die.」

He hummed softly at the letter.

'Kaeya's handwriting got better.' he thought before setting the letter on fire. Letters such as these were not meant to be kept after all. 'I should get him some wine from Fontaine… speaking of wine…'