Unexpected Encounter

"Just the usual, please," you say as you pull out your wallet to pay for your coffee.

"Sure, coming right up, Y/N," the barista of your favorite cafe says.

As you slot your wallet back into your bag, you survey your surroundings in the cafe. You were hoping to sit down at a table and do some work while you sip on your coffee, but all of the tables in the small cafe were taken. The three closest to you were occupied by couples enjoying their weekday afternoon, while the ones towards the back window were taken up by three men, each sitting at their own table.

Just my luck, you think. I wonder if they know each other. The three are all wearing suits but not interacting with each other. One had long dark hair and gave you a fang-toothed smile when he caught you looking at him. You quickly looked away and glanced towards the man sitting at the end table. with pretty pink hair and two scars framing his mouth, his lips sucking on the straw of his iced americano as he kept looking around the cafe. The man sat at the middle table had short black hair that came up to his ears and a tattoo on his neck, peeking out from the collar of his dress shirt. In front of him he had a couple plates of pastries. Finishing up one of the pastries, he put the empty plate over on the table of the man with the long dark hair.

"Y/N, did you want your coffee to go or stay? I know we're kind of busy right now," the barista says to you.

"But that's a good thing right? I'll have it to stay. I know if I go home I'm not going to get any work done."

"I know what you mean! If anything feel free to pull a chair over to the counter if you want!"

You simply smiled as you took your cup, thanking your barista and you readjusted your bag on your shoulder. You looked back around at the tables and made your way over the the three in the back. This shouldn't be hard, right?

As you walked over you decided that you wouldn't sit with the long haired man, as he was still smirking at you. There's no way I'm sitting directly across from him.

The pink hair man seemed a bit paranoid so you did not want to interrupt him. And if you did sit with him you would have to maneuver to the chair close to the wall, and the last thing you wanted was for your bag to bump into the short haired man sitting on the chair next to the wall at the center table.

Hm, maybe it would be the easiest to ask to sit at the middle table.

As you approach the set of tables, the pink haired man looks up at you, a menacing smile on his face as he stops drinking his coffee.

"Get lost doll face, we're not interested in any girl scout cookies."

So they all do know each other. "Listen buddy, I was just going to ask this guy if I can sit at the table," you say as you nod your head towards the man at the center table.

"Do you ask guys often if you can sit at their tables?" The man with long dark hair asks you gruffly.

"Man, what the heck is that even supposed to mean? You guys are literally taking up half of the cafe. Can I ask something so simple?"

"Baji, lay off," the man in the middle says, lifting a spoonful of pudding up to his mouth.

You let out a sigh before asking, "So, may I have this seat?"

The short haired man just nods, looking up at you. Your eyes locked for a moment, only breaking when you looked down quickly, pulling the chair in front of you out. Keeping your eyes low, you slipped off your bag from your shoulder and placed it on the back of the chair. You could still feel the man looking at you. As you placed your drink on one side of the table, the pink haired man interrupted your thoughts.

"So, why do you want to sit down in a cafe anyways?"

"I could literally ask you the same thing, but as you see I have manners," you snarky replied.

"Hey, watch it girly!" You could see a vein pulsing on his forehead, and he quickly got up leaning over you with a hand on the back of your chair. "I'm not one to mess around with."

"Geez, take it easy. I'm just trying to get some work done. Maybe I would have been better off going home," you mumble as you you reach back to get pick your bag up and get out of the chair.

"You don't have to go, miss," the man in front of you says. "Sanzu take it easy, she's just trying to have her coffee."

You look at him, your eyes meeting once again, You have a feeling in the pit of your stomach telling you just to leave, but there's something else. Something is pulling you back, wanting to sit back down and be with this man. And so you stay.

You sit back down again in a huff.

"Lets just enjoy our cafe time, ok?" You say as you stat to pull out your laptop from you bag, looking back to the rest of the cafe, everyone else in their own worlds, engrossed over their own conversations and treats.

As you take a sip of your drink and open up your laptop, the pink haired man leans over to your table, taking a look at your computer.

"What are you working on?"

"No privacy?" With a sigh you reply, "I'm working on a program."

"What program?"

"I'm trying to make one."

"Huh?"

"She's coding you dumbass," The long dark haired man named Baji says.

"Watch who you're calling dumbass, dumbass!" Sanzu yells, catching the attention of some of the other people in the cafe.

"Can you please calm down? I'm not working on anything big it's just for fun."

"Whatever you say, baby girl."

You roll your eyes at him, taking a look at your computer screen.

"So, you work at Google or something?" Baji asks.

"Uh no, actually. I work part time at a cafe."

Sanzu scoffs. "You work at a cafe, and here you are. At another cafe?"

"Yeah. Got a problem with that?"

"Oooo feisty. I like this one," Sanzu says, leaning in to you.

You lean back, away from him as he nears. "I work at a cafe a train stop away from here, and like to come here often and work on my projects since it's close to my apartment."

"Oh, you live nearby?" the short haired man asks you, finishing another dessert.

"Uh, yea?" you reply, not really sure if you're liking where the conversation is going.

Sanzu tilted his head. "Do you live at the Silver Tree?"

"Uh, no. But actually in the building next door." You immediately regret your quick reply, your stomach starting to twist.

"Do we own that building?" the man sitting across from you asks.

"No, we don't, Mikey," Baji replies.

"Sanzu, see what you can do," Mikey says.

"Got it, boss."

You look at them, your eyes going back and forth, your eyebrows knitted together.

"You guys in real estate?" You ask, trying to make sense of the interaction you just witnessed.

"Something like that," Mikey replies, finishing his last plate. He stood up and buttoned up his coat jacket. Sanzu and Baji getting up with him, Baji picking up all the used plates.

"It was nice meeting you, take care," Mikey says as he walks past you. Baji gave you another fanged smile and Sanzu finished up the last of his coffee before ruffling your hair as he walks past.

You just stare blankly and turn around in your seat, watching the three men walk out of the cafe.

What in the hell just happened??