Chapter Twelve - Magic Water

"I'm telling you Loki. It took longer to get here last time. Did we run faster?" I ask as I hop off Elding.

     "I do not think so. And if we did, it was not by much. You also knew exactly where we were going today. Your curiosity and impatience may have made it seem like it was taking longer." Loki unties the satchels on his horse.

     I take the picnic blanket from him. "I was only impatient because you didn't at least tell me how far we were going."

     "That is how surprises work, Kyrie." Loki teases.

     I stick my tongue out and walk over to where we had lunch last time. I pick a big tree with enough shade to cover us both and so we don't have to worry about moving it as the sun moves. We spread the blanket and anchor it down on opposite sides with the satchels. We sit down and look up at the small mountain in front of us.

     "From what I can see we can either climb and search as we go up or search as we come back down. Though it would be safer for us to search going up."

     "What about behind the waterfall? What if there's a small cave entrance behind it?"

     "It is getting colder, Kyrie. We may have to wait to do that when it begins to get warm again."

     "Searching as we go up it is then."

     Loki takes out a water flask that has a length of rope around the top so he can wear it and not have to carry it. He looks at me.

     "Did you want to eat anything before we start climbing?"

     "No thank you. I'll be ok until we get back down."

     "It might take longer than you think to get up there."

     I look up at the mountain again. "You might be right."

     I get up and go over to Elding and grab a small bag I strapped to the saddle. I come back and dig around one of the satchels and take out an apple and some bread. I put it in the bag and look at Loki.

     "Just in case."

     He nods and we start to walk over to the side of the mountain. The closer we get, the bigger the mountain gets and I get nervous.

     "You are safe with me, Kyrie. Just step where I step and if you slip, I will catch you with my magic."

     I nod and make myself as tall as I can. "Let's do this. Let's try and find where this magic water comes from."

     Loki smiles and says, "There's the little Valkyrie I remember."

     Loki starts climbing and I see where his feet go so I can move my hands in the same spot. I don't move up until I feel like my feet and hands won't slip. Halfway up the mountain, Loki turns down towards me and calls out.

     "I think I see a crevice to the left we can take a look at. Maybe it leads to a cave. Follow slowly and be extra careful the closer we get to the waterfall. The rocks may be slippery."

     I nod and start climbing up to where he just was as he makes his way to the left. We slowly slide step by step and the waterfall gets louder as we get closer to the crevice. I move slower because the rocks are wet from the tiny drops of water that come out of the waterfall. Something suddenly tickles my nose when I breathe in and I can't help but sneeze.

     But I sneeze so hard that my feet slip and move under me. I shriek as one of my feet slips too far back, throwing me off balance. I grab onto the mountain with a tighter grip so I don't fall off but I feel Loki's magic push me forward and doesn't move off me.