Chapter Nineteen - Final Goodbye

The next morning and afternoon go by as if the world around her has been muted with an intangible heaviness in the air. After only managing a few bites of her breakfast, Loki guides her to the library by her hand. Her eyes look without really seeing what is happening around her. His little Valkyrie, lost in whatever thoughts float around in her head if she has any thoughts at all. She moves as if someone else is controlling her actions, doing everything automatically.

     He does not leave her side. They sit in silence on the window seat in the library for a long time. He glances at her every now and again but he does not see any life in her eyes. She does not notice the people hurrying past the library door. Nor does she see the small group of people that walk towards the castle, King Odin leading the way, come back for the funeral ceremony. The window they sit at is at an odd angle and quite far from the castle entrance but the group is still visible from there.

     Loki promised his mother the night before to stay by her side as her mother needed to make sure the funeral preparations were in order. He has someone bring lunch to them and leads her over to the table. She blinks at the food before looking down at her lap.

     "Kyrie, please eat with me. You do not have to eat a whole plate of food but you must eat something. Please."

     She looks up at him and nods slowly before taking one of the rolls of bread. He eats with her and she surprises him by eating half of the food he placed on the plate in front of her. She rubs her eyes looking tired and somber.

     "Do you want to take a nap?" She visibly tenses before shaking her head. "Why not?"

     She whispers, "I kept waking up last night scared that I would have more dreams that I couldn't remember and not be able to help anyone."

     Loki takes her hand and leads her to the closest bathroom and she thanks him. He uses the bathroom too and is back outside waiting for her before she comes out.

     "Did you need to change for the funeral?"

     She shakes her head. "My mom said that we should wear dresses he loved seeing us in. His favorites."

     Loki takes her hand and leads her back to the library but this time towards one of the couches.

     "Why not take a nap on the couch? I will read while you sleep and make sure to wake you if you dream."

     She looks at him. "Promise?"

     "I promise. I will sit on this side. You can rest your head near me so I can keep an eye on you as you sleep."

     She lays down, her head near him, and falls asleep almost instantly. Loki uses his magic to bring a book towards him and once he can read the title, he places it back. He does this a couple more times before settling on one and opening the book on his lap. Every now and again, he looks at her face to make sure she is still sleeping soundly before his eyes return to the page. He does not leave her side and she sleeps without dreaming.

☙~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~❧

     I wake up to Loki softly shaking my shoulder to wake me up. I open my eyes and see that it's gotten darker. I turn and slowly sit on the couch as I yawn. I rub my eyes and turn to Loki. He has a book in his lap but it's closed.

     "I swear you could sleep through a feast as it happens around you, Kyrie. I have been trying to wake you up for two minutes."

     "How long was I asleep?"

     "Around four hours. I would have let you sleep longer but the sun is just about set. The funeral will be starting soon and your braid needs to be fixed."