Chapter 24: Loving the bad boys name: No matter what

Bree's POV

It was the next day.

I had ignored Ryder all last night. I think he knows something is wrong as he had tried to cheer me up, but when he realised it wasn't working, I guess he kinda decided to let me figure things out for myself.

"Are you gonna talk to me?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as I look up at Ryder opposite me at our table in the library. He stared across at me expectingly and I frowned.

"Sorry, what?"

He sighs, when he realises I wasn't paying attention to him. "You've been spaced out since we got home yesterday. You were fine that morning, did something happen throughout the day?"

Instantly, I'm filled with guilt. I squirm, thinking about how I'd kissed someone who wasn't my boyfriend. "I'm fine."

Ryder rolls his eyes at my dismissal. "Okay well now I definitely know you're not fine." I watch as he stands up from his seat, and sits in the one next to mine. "I gave you time to yourself yesterday but you're still acting weird."

I shrug. "I'm not acting weird."

"You're not angry at me are you? If I've done something wrong then tell me." He asks with a frown as he takes both of my hands in his.

I stare back and forth from our interlocked hands to the worrying expression on his face. "Ryder I-"

Suddenly I spot Florence walking out of the library. I turn back to Ryder and send him an apologetic look. "I've gotta go, I'll talk to you later!" I promise hastily before I'm out of ear shot as I jump out of my seat and chase Florence out of the double doors.

I follow her down the corridor until she stops at her locker. As I slowly approach and clear my throat to gain her attention, she turns around to look at me.

"Well, well, well. Look who's—"

"I'm not giving you my spot." I say curtly, cutting her off.

I watch as the recognition of what I'm talking about flashes in her eyes. "Are you being serious? You do realise what'll happen if you don't, right?"

I narrow my eyes. "Y'know Flornece, I feel bad for you. You can't get your own boyfriend, so you're hellbent on destroying other people's relationships just to feel something in that cold heart of yours."

She scoffs, folding her arms. "That's funny. You saying I can't get a man when you can't even keep one. We're not that different you and me, Bree."

I shrug. "Maybe we're not." I tell her. "But look, I know you think telling Ryder will get back at me but it'll only be him you're hurting. You want him to know? Fine. But I should be the one to tell him."

She looks at me in shock. "You're gonna tell him?"

I nod firmly. "If you don't take that away from me..."

Florence debates my request for a brief moment, before smiling to herself. "Alright." She nods at me. "Your little secret is safe with me." She spins around and closes her locker. "You and Ryder's relationship will be missed dearly." She ridicules through a smirk, placing a patronising hand on my shoulder for a second before walking away.

I watch her saunter down the hallway, involuntarily letting out a deep breath.

Thank God that's over.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————