021; it's just them two now

third person.

after the main ceremony of the funeral had ended and many guests had already said their last farewells and began to make their way to the wake, max and mollie sat in the now empty room in the first row of seats, neither of them ready to leave their grandma for the last time.

they still hadn't spoke a word to each other, nor had either of them cried but they were still sitting together with their hands interlocked for support, staring at the front of the room.

"one of them is going to have to take the first move," corbyn whispered to nicole, the two stood by the entryway watching the siblings, "one of them needs to encourage the other."

"she's the last family member," nicole shook her head, "the last one from their dad's side, it'll take them a hell of a lot of courage to leave the room."

"it's just them two now?"

"yeah," she mumbled.

exchanging a sigh and an upset glance to each other, nicole walked off to find the rest of the group and allowed the siblings to say their final goodbyes in peace, while corbyn stayed watching them.

yet in the room filled with silence and two young adults, max was the first to let go of his sister's hand, glancing to the floor for a few moments before he eventually took a deep breath and stood up, slowly walking to the back of the room as mollie remained frozen.

and as max took one final glance behind his shoulders, he walked out the room and quietly closed the door behind him, looking at mollie through the window as corbyn watched him.

"is she okay?" corbyn spoke up, "does she need someone?"

"..i think she's now only just fully processed everything." max shrugged, "she'll meet us at the house when she's ready."

"shouldn't someone stay with her?" he asked, glancing to his girlfriend before following max to the rest of the guests.

"one of nana's long time friends will stay," max nodded, "she'll drive them both, it's okay."

"okay," corbyn mumbled as he folded his arms.

with the guests now making their way to the butcher household to celebrate the life julie had lived and also having an opportunity to have way too many drinks, it didn't take long for corbyn to sit by the selection of drinks worried about when his girlfriend would be arriving.

with a drink in his hand and many thoughts running through his mind, he watched max and a small group of his childhood friends talk for almost an hour in hopes that any second mollie would walk through the door.

but when the lady who was supposed to be bringing the girl along with her walked through without mollie behind, the boys eyebrows were furrowed as he walked over to the door, holding it open slightly while he looked outside.

"corbyn," nicole looked at him, "you okay? you seem unsettled."

"i'm fine."

"if you need some quiet, i'm sure mollie's room will be empty." nicole suggested, "i can come with you if you want someone to talk to."

he went quiet as his shoulders immediately dropped slightly, carefully closing the front door to prevent any noise being made as he turned to nicole, the girl staring at him confused.

"she's sat outside." he mumbled, "by herself."

"i'm sure she just doesn't want to speak to anyone right now," she reassured him, her hand being placed on his shoulder, "wait until she comes inside."