Chapter Fifteen: Laiva's Regrets

LAIVA:

"So, what's going on between you two?" Zieré asks, inquisitively pointing the tips of her two fur covered noses towards me.

I shrug, lounging against the leather couch within a rusting shipping crate. My regret does nothing to feel the nausea I'm feeling right now.

"I don't know," I respond in a bored tone. "I am just bored all the time, now! This constant waiting for my next fight against Rotcetorp is tedious! I need a job! But I faked my death, and killed the prime minister of Aravare!"

"You could wear one of those holo-disguises and come work with me at my autoshop!"

"No, because the disks would be visible on the disguise!"

"Hm," Zieré says softly. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

I sigh. "You space out a lot!"

Zieré growls playfully, briefly showing her gum pink fangs. I pat her forehead like a pet, and she hisses.

"I am not an animal!" she snaps.

"Sorry," I apologise unemotionally, before ripping a single strand of my green hair out.

I twirl it impatiently, ruminating over my relationship with Xalir.

He's probably distraught. He could've been pushed to the edge. His charisma could've forever been broken.

My stress is getting too much for my nausea, so I bend away from the couch and spew vomit onto the carpet.

"I can't handle this!" I exclaim. "I have to go back! But it's too late!"

I vomit again.

Zieré plugs her nose with her forefinger, staring at the pool of yellow vomit on the ground.

"Why did you have to puke all over the carpet, Laiva? You should really be considerate! Now I have to get a mop from the cargo ship!"

"You should realise that I'll keep throwing up if...I don't...stop...hyperventi-"

"Yeah, yeah," Zieré exclaims crossly. "I get it. Would it help if I popped in on Xalir?"

I nod tearfully in response, and as Zieré exits the refurbished crate to get a mop, I smile.

I carefully step over the puke puddle and step outside the crate. It smells foul of rubbish out here, so I plug my nose. Zieré is walking up ahead, and I can see the back of the Garzelagar furry grey neck.

"Zi, get me my suit disk!"

"Okay," she calls back.

I smile, looking up at the ugly yellowish-brown sky. According to legends, Garbatrak was once the homeworld of the Garzelagar. But the world suffered a great calamity that resulted in the near extinction of Zieré's species. Now, the large amount of rubbish and junk left lying around has become part of the planet. The atmosphere is still breathable, but the air is as putrid as the meaty breath of a craykello.

I ought to take a visit to Knirdova. I need to talk to the older Zieré, as I am questioning a lot of things about my fierce rivalry with Rotcetorp.

Perhaps she can provide me some information that could prove useful.

XALIR:

I steer my car towards the dark atmosphere of Teglyo, venturing towards the brick fort that stands tall above a misty chasm. Sunlight begins to break through the night sky, causing the purple jungle to appear a reddish-pink.

Once I land my space automobile onto the asphalt runway, I open my door and slide out of my leather driver's seat. As I walk along the footpath, garbed in Aacis's old hovercycle helmet, I bump into Lygor, whose one eye at the centre of his head trembles tearfully.

"Rotcetorp, I need your help! Two members of my pirate crew whom I sent to Podplanata I have been captured! I need you to rescue them!"

"I've got other stuff to do, Lygor," I scoff dryly. "Is my suit ready?"

As I walk past Lygor, I feel a hard tug on my arm. I turn around to face Lygor, who bares his human-like teeth.

"Rotcetorp, you have to listen to me!"  he exclaims gruffly. "My mission's gone awry! You need to help my crew! You need to assist them by stopping the civil war!"

"I'm heading to Garbatrak to destroy Oppugnant! If I have time, I'll save your friends! But, I might not. I'm not really a fan of pirates!"

"Just put your vendetta against Oppugnant for one minute. I know you've likely lost someone, but that doesn't excuse you from allowing other innocent lives to be lost. The people on Podplanata II are going to be slaughtered!"

I sigh shakily. "Oppugnant is my first and foremost goal. They need to be stopped. If you want to save your friends, go ahead. There are other vigilantes here you can enlist in your cause. Hundreds of them!"

I continue towards the hangar, but Lygor scoffs behind me.

"You're the reason I stopped committing crimes, and now, you're just like Maxarcell. Uncaring. Cruel. Mean. You're just like the nemesis you are fighting against. When I first saw you, I was scared of you, and I had every right to be. You're a monster!"

As I continue on past the crates and planes located inside the hangar, I ignore Lygor's angry protests. But, I know Lygor's right. I know I have to protect the remaining population of Podplanata II. But, I'm only going there because I know that Oppugnant will be there.

I will kill them. And this time, I will not fail.