Chapter Eighteen: Revisiting Knirdova

LAIVA:

After soaring through space at the speed of light, Knirdova's stormy blue sphere finally comes into view. It is dotted with several large continents, which appear grey due to being covered in mycelium. From space, the cities and townships appear as yellow dots. But, I'm not just going to any city, today. I'm heading to Egtonelaf, one of the many coastal cities found on the zig-zagged edged continent of Erifarl. It is located on the eastern coast, and unlike the other cities, it has white lights instead of gold.

I descend into the atmosphere, but I don't burn up.  Since I possess mimicked elemental powers that also belong to Rotcetorp, I am technically fireproof.

Anyway, I pass through the clouds, slowly lowering towards the cobblestone city that sits by the edge of the coast.  Violent spray from the tall dark waves that crash onto the fungus covered coastline splashes against my circular rainbow mirror visor. Half of the city been in ruins three years ago, but now, there is no evidence of the destruction left by Rotcetorp.

The sky above is obscured by thick clouds. Rain pelts my spacesuit as my boot covered feet touch firmly down onto the cliff's edge.

I follow a rocky path to the nearby city, and soon, the rocky surface of the cliff is replaced by the cobblestone pavings of the city. There aren't any skyscrapers here like there are in Entrek. Egtonelaf is essentially a large fishing village. On my previous visit to Knirdova, I had spent a day learning about the world's culture. The Knirdovans are humanoids who have aquaramine skin and fish scales in place of their eyes. They have wings, and so they can soar off the tall cliff and snatch unsuspecting marine life with their spears. They're a rare species, as they're only really found by the coasts of Knirdova. But, when people do see them, they're often in awe of their beauty.

Anyway, the streets are more bustling than they were three years ago. Although Knirdova is positioned a future ten years away from the current time on Occos II, it doesn't mean it's been thirty Knirdovan years since Rotcetorp's attack. Time in the Aurega Galaxy doesn't work like that. I don't know about other galaxies, but I do know about this one. Sure, all the different time zones confuses me. But, it makes this galaxy feel even more vast and different.

In addition to having more people, the cobblestone streets are not covered in muck and filth like they were when I last was here. I am now starting fully notice the intricate carvings on the cobblestone that tell tales of an ancient culture.

I can't get distracted by my mission, though. I'm here on Knirdova now because I need to find the future version of Zieré. After Rotcetorp told me on Garbatrak that he didn't wish to destroy buildings like I did, something shifted within me. My determination to kill Rotcetorp was replaced by a realization that my animosity towards him might not be well founded.

There is something about Rotcetorp that makes me hesitant to kill him.

I need to know the truth. That's why I'm here where it all began. I'm here to figure out the truth about my enemy.

As I continue along the streets, I pass a row of stone shops, now fitted with holo-matter windows. As I continue along the path, I recognize the green Scwabarkian neon sign of a car shop sitting away at the far end of the street.