Chapter Sixteen: Nygyl's Mission

NYGYL:

As I sprint from one end of the arena to the other, I slow down time to dodge the attacks of opposing superheroes, which include careless fireballs, strategically fired laser beams, and many more offensive abilities.

Above, the turquoise holocrete roof prevents us from exiting the arena, but that doesn't really bother me. I mainly just use my powers to defend myself. It's actually quite easy.

In front of me, an Aslort ice breathing superhero known as Frozen Dragonbreath breathes icy mist at an unlucky superhero. I rush to face them. Their hexagonal shaped head is covered in scars, and their white reptilian eyes appear to be swirling with mist.

I stretch out time to a point that I am able to rush past the Aslort as he attempts to project his icy breath towards me. I slash their neck open with my claws, and they collapse to the ground, their blue blood spilling out like leaking purple juice.

I resume time at its normal speed, and the deafening sounds of battle overwhelm my heightened craykello senses. A spike lodges itself into my shoulder, and I scream in pain. I slow time down again so I can rush away to a nearby rock barricade. I hide behind the barricade, making time as distorted as I possibly can.

As I crouch behind the barricade, I hear a squishing sound. I stare down at my brown scaly boots, which are covered in a grey goo.

"Ill," I exclaim in recoil, unwittingly giving my hiding spot away.

I jump fast over my barricade, but then, I feel my body shrink. I can no longer feel my teeth, and my eyes now stare in opposite directions.

I try to move, but instead, I find myself slowly sliding along the floor. The hurdle appears so big now. It is now a rocky wall.

I hear loud footsteps approaching, and I glance upwards, noticing a giant version of Shenelda. As she picks me up, she talks to me very loudly.

"NYGYL," she booms, "JUST HANG ON!"

I can't, I remark in my mind. I'm a slug.

As Shenelda runs along the metal floored court, I tremble nervously.

I'm too young to die.

Once Shenelda arrives at the other side of the court, she climbs up a copper ladder onto a platform, turns left, hiding me behind a wall. She lowers me onto the ground, and with several magic-like hand movements, I find my body grow. I can now feel my teeth, and my hands and claws are back. I'm no longer a slug.

Shenelda smiles at me as she wraps me in an uncharacteristic hug.

"We're meant to kill each other!" I exclaim in protest.

"True, but we're also meant to prove that we don't possess a hero complex that causes us to unknowingly cause villains to cause harm. Those who kill each other just prove their hero complex even more!"

"You turned another hero into a slug, though," I protest. "I squished them."

"Wait, what? I was hiding her from the battle, just as I was trying to do with you!"

"Aww," I remark half-heartedly. "I don't really care. I just want to win!"

"Nygyl, you need to stop wanting to win! You need to start considering running away from this this place. You need to show that you are not like Oppugnant!"

"What about Rotcetorp?"

"What about him?"

"You know he'll hunt us down, Shenelda! You know he'll kill us!"