Chapter Forty-Six: Aftermath

NYGYL:

Lygor's metallic pirate ship lands within a clearing inside the misty char tree forest on Podplanata II. For a pirate ship, I would expect there to be an anchor. But, of course, this ship doesn't use an anchor. It's very modern compared to the other pirate spaceships in the galaxy.

Rotcetorp still hasn't come back onto the deck after his argument with Oppugnant. I fear their rivalry may erupt into another war. As much as I love action, I do not want to Oppugnant and Rotcetorp to cause more unrest in the galaxy. They are overpowered, as they are capable of crushing entire armies in an instant. If left unchecked, they could destroy entire planets. I am starting to understand the purpose of the Hero Complex program more than ever.

I now understand why people must take great care with their powers. It is a privilege, not a right. If power ever got into the hands of evil, then there would be cataclysmic carnage.

I love the thrill of being a hero, but I know that power does not define a hero. A hero is defined by what they do with their power. I have to admit that I have used my power for the thrill of it, while I should have been using it to help others.

I did use my power to slow down time to help Lygor, Shenelda, and the mechanics escape the missiles on Frayopeyja. Still, that's not enough.

Seeing Oppugnant's power up close gave me a realization. It made me realize that I had to better utilize my powers. It made me realise that I couldn't take my powers for granted.

When my former dormmates and I (bar Nygyl) were captured by Rotcetorp in a rural town located on the multi-biome world of Nualquu, we were using our powers for mischief. Eventually, Shenelda tried to stop us, but we refused. Then, Rotcetorp arrived to bring us to justice. We had heard the grim tales of this fearsome superhero. We didn't want to mess with him, so we surrendered.

Then, we were sent to Teglyo. Shenelda wanted to rid herself of her hero complex. I, on the other hand, just wanted to prove myself in battle.

Now, however, I don't stand a chance against Rotcetorp and Oppugnant. They are the superior superheroes. I think TeleVisore is much more powerful than me, as well. He could just teleport me anywhere in an instant.

Anyway, I'm really impatient at the moment. I want to do something. I want to fight some bad guys. I want to chat with Lygor. I just want a purpose.

My stomach gurgles. I need food. Equaaz must think that too, as evidenced by his leaf shaped eyes glancing to the side of my wrinkled face.

"I'm sure there are some snails here you could eat!" Equaaz suggests.

"No, I only eat meat," I reply softly, leaning against the railing to stare up at the misty fog that obscures the sky from view.

"Well, that's good. I was worried you might eat me for a second.

"Are you a plant?"

"No. My skin is the texture of a tree trunk. I'm a living tree branch."

"I'm pretty sure stick insects are living tree branches."

"Yeah, yeah! Well, I can't really describe my species. They're really strange!"

"I don't think that! I exclaim. I think you're amazing!"

"Oh, thank you," remarks Equaaz sarcastically. "You should probably get some food, though. Mister Teleporting Dude, can you get this dude here some raw fish or something?"

I turn to TeleVisore, staring at him hungrily.

He sighs.

"Hold out your palms, kid!" TeleVisore instructs smoothly.